• Register Today It's free!

Problems With Lift?

IndyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I'm having people tell me that I will have some serious problems with my lift. I'm planning on doing the following to a '92 Explorer 4x4 4-Door:

5.5" Superlift
3" BL
2" front coil spacer and either 2" rear block or 2" rear shackle

That nets me 10.5" lift. That should give me enough clearence for 39.5s. I would really rather not go through the hassle of a SAS right now. Maybe this upcoming winter but not right now. What all am I going to have to do the help with steering and such? High volume steering pump and box? Can you do a hydro setup on a TTB front end? Please let me know what problems you see me having with this setup. I want to get all problems fixed hopefully when I do the install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't recomend running tires that large on the front TTB Dana35. The wheel bearings can't handle that much weight/leverage.

I agree with "mrboyle". Those tires will put a hurting on the front axle and maybe the rear. With that size tire you should do a SAS and maybe upgrade the rear. Do some research and you will see that the front axle will not be able to handle it, and the rear 8.8 will most likely be feeling the pain also. I would not recomend it. Also, it will be hard getting the camber/castor correct with the front lifted 7.5", even with drop brackets.
Good luck to ya, and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

-Nick Good

i say go for it, just leave out the spacers up front, they will make it much harder to get the alinment. just run some 35-36's and call it done.

i basically HAD the same type of setup you're describing and i chewed up my tires so bad. It would never align right, and i was only running 33's. running a 39 puts so much strain on that front end. Have you done any of the items you've listed? if not you may want to start piecing a SAS project together. When i did mine i read a lot and researched a lot. I finally did it in a weekend and spent between 1500-2000 in parts. Labor was free on my part. In the long run i would have done the SAS a long time ago rather than dumping money in something just to keep it adequate. Plus i love the ride way better than the superlift kit and the spacers. I did my swap with leaf springs. Just to give you something to think about.

i've decided to step down from the 39s to go with 36s. 39s just seem way to big for the explorer.

If I need to I can pick up a D44/9" combo for free. I just didn't want to have to mess with tryin to figure out what lifts what how much.

I'd much rather go with the new axles then modify the stock suspension

-Drew

this explorer is just a street queen. No offroad intended. I may just swap out the BL and get a 4" lift and put 33s and call it a day.

Back