Programming duplicate/extra key | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming duplicate/extra key

Peter, ok and thanks i will try it again on my 13 Ex Fingers crossed
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure its been said but... if you have one key a dealer or lock smith needs to hook up to your onboard computer to add a key, takes about 20min. IF you have 2 working keys you can program it yourself and takes about a min. obviously after the key has been cut. To program the remote buttons you can do yourself also and takes about a minute, the buttons on my aftermarket key did not set when the key was added so I did it by using the key on/off procedure as outlined.

Add a key for 2011, you can select a different year in the menu
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...ter.html?year=2011&model=Explorer&sync=syncMy

Didn't read through all of this but I had two remote keys for my 14 Explorer and bought two non remote keys. One for a hidden key and the other a spare so I would always have two programmed keys to make more.. Simple procedure of turning the first two keys to on then the key to be programmed. There are two different procedures on different pages of the manual for the two types of keys.

Didn't read through all of this but I had two remote keys for my 14 Explorer and bought two non remote keys. One for a hidden key and the other a spare so I would always have two programmed keys to make more.. Simple procedure of turning the first two keys to on then the key to be programmed. There are two different procedures on different pages of the manual for the two types of keys.
Do you still have the '97 Explorer? If so it would be an idea to add the 2014 and the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) to a signature. Not knowing which trim you have, which keys are we talking about? The Integrated Keyhead or the Intelligent Access ones? The procedure in the 2016 and 2017 Manuals for the IA Key has been changed in that the Manual now states to take them to the dealer.

Peter

Howdy, everyone.
I have a 2016 explorer base model AWD blue jean blue.
I want a replacement key to open the doors and maybe start the vehicle.
I have a phobia about locking my keys in the vehicle.
So my question is as follows:

I saw key blanks on ebay for about five bucks. If I got one on eBay. How would I determine the proper fit key blank? And can any locksmith cut it? Just a key blank, no fob.
Does the OME key that I have have a transponder ?
Any other suggestion would be welcome.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

J.

Check out page 71 in your Owner's Manual on the programming procedure. The keys you have are referred to as Integrated Keyhead Transmitters (IKT). The procedure will program them to your particular vehicle. As for having them cut, I would guess that anyone that cuts keys could do it. Does your vehicle have the Securicode keyless keypad on the driver's side door pillar? I believe that is the only way you can lock your key in the car. At least with an IA key it is. Try locking one of your keys in the car and see what happens. It isn't easy.

Peter

Check out page 71 in your Owner's Manual on the programming procedure. The keys you have are referred to as Integrated Keyhead Transmitters (IKT). The procedure will program them to your particular vehicle. As for having them cut, I would guess that anyone that cuts keys could do it. Does your vehicle have the Securicode keyless keypad on the driver's side door pillar? I believe that is the only way you can lock your key in the car. At least with an IA key it is. Try locking one of your keys in the car and see what happens. It isn't easy.

Thanks peterk9 for your response.
I am in law enforcement and I always have extra keys made for my official use vehicle ,
Although I agree it hard to lock your self out when the keys are in the ignition, I am afraid ill drop he keys while grabbing gear and be hosed. I don't have the cool keyless keypad on my vehicle and they only give us one key. I would hate to be the first fool to have to call for help or have to get someone to open my vehicle door.
Thanks again for your help.
Stay safe.

J.

You will need the original keys in order to program the 3rd. If you can't get the other one the Manual says you'll have to visit the dealer. I was a civilian member with the RCMP for over 23 years before retiring. Good luck.

Peter

Back