project build as you drive- intro. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

project build as you drive- intro.

joeaustin1

Reaction score
City, State
horseheads,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the warm welcome. Tomorrow (Friday) I am going to leave work early to hit the road with my 02 Ex and my son to pick up the latest project/moneypit. I'm actually pretty excited about getting it home, not sure why- Ive had much more interesting purchases- maybe because this 99 Ranger is a simple 2wd and I really havent had any interest in tricking one of these out before or even been interested in owning one- I've just been partial to 4x4's for so long. I live in upstate NY but the winters have been fairly mild the last few years w/ the occasional snow storm, plus we have th Explorer if it turns ugly. I guess something different is good, the older you get. The first order of business is going to get this thing driving, it's going to be my d.d., I bought it sight unseen ( besides crappy craigslist pics) and paypal'd the guy to hold it til I could get there, it's 2 hours away. It comes complete with a blown motor- as in no oil pressure, wont start, not supercharged blown.- Hey what did you expect for 900 bucks. I think for now I am going to drop in a 3.0 replacement I found today that is in a wrecked 2000. I'll snap some pics and post as I go- this could change but I'm really liking the idea of a pre-runner type daily driver that I build as I drive. Any suggestions or advice are very welcome and wanted. Later guys........Joe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

Oh man lucky you!
I want to build a 2wd Ranger so bad I can taste it!

Jeremytruck%20jump.jpg

I drove a BII for 13+ years as I built it and never looked back

welcome

build as you drive.....

Ok the batteries in my digital camera are dead but I'll get some pic's up asap- brought the project home today- I'll just say up front the bed rails are rougher than I thought they would be and there are various small dents that did not show up in the pic's when I bought it.:mad:- Oh well, I guess-for $900 that's what I get. - It's also a good reason to save up for some fiberglass fenders and bedsides. I don't know that the motor is blown... the starter was out of it , the oil and antifreeze look good, the engine rolls over by hand but the THEFT system is keeping the thing from starting- anyone know the procedure for overiding or reseting this? I know on some trucks, it's a series of turning the ignition on and off for a certain amount of time...... Had a blow out on the right rear of the Ranger while towdollying it home on the highway ( 75mph) (passing lane in traffic) (in the mountains) (downhill) (!) :eek: made it home safe. Wound up being a 200 mile round trip. Can't wait to get wrenching on it. First thing is to see if this 3litre is any good. I'm going to do some research.

410fortune- thanks man. Just wanted to tell ya, Before I ever posted anything here, I followed your daily driver rebuild and loved it- it's actually part of the inspiration for my current project. yOU DO NICE WORK.

Back