Project "Flatlander" 2002 Mounty Build-up to 450+rwhp | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project "Flatlander" 2002 Mounty Build-up to 450+rwhp

Project “Flatlander” 2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L Automatic AWD 117000 Miles Completely Stock
This is the very beginning of a hopeful 6-9 Month Process. This vehicle will be extensively R&D’d with new, existing, and custom products on the market complete with dyno results & mpg gains.
Since this is AWD we weren’t able to get some baseline dyno data before we did a few upgrades (But i have a part time tech's wife that has a 2002 2wd Mountaineer, one day we'll see if we can pry it away from here & strap it to the dyno to get an estimate) We have completely removed the complete AWD Drivetrain, replaced the front wheel hub bearings, new fuel filter & fresh Mobile Synthetic oil, some minor checks & maintanence before we began the build 2 months ago. Since I drive this on a midtown daily travel 15-20 miles one way to work, mpg will be more based on that for our normal results, long highway trips will also be datalogged when possible. Before the build began with it completely stock I averaged 15.8 to 16.1 mpg.

Here is what we have done so far:
Stock 4.6L with stock 16" wheels, suspension, & brakes
ALL AWD has been completly Removed (FOR SALE)
New Front Wheel Hubs
ALL New Idler Pulleys & Belt
New Fuel Filter
2 New Stock Coil Packs
Fuel Injection Service
Mobil Synthetic 5w20 Oil / Motorcraft Filter
Built & Racepreped 5r55w transmission with valve body & upgraded TC stall to 3400-3500rpms.
Energy Suspension transmission mount (Universal Mount Custom Fitted)
Moroso Trans Overflow Tank (Still awaiting shipment, Lines Run)
Custom Aluminum Driveshaft with HD U-Joints
Completely rebuilt IRS Diff with TSB Seals 31spline LSD & 3.90 Gear
Custom True Dual Exhaust From Stock Manifolds back with Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler & 3" Tips
200amp Alternator & New Battery
After Break-in We are seeing _____RWHP ______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT & ______MPG

UPDATE 10/01/2008: Another coil pack went out, so since I didn't want to buy another stock coil pack we went ahead & installed the NEW Weapon X Coils & Brisk LGS Plugs (We are dealers for both). We have a couple small issues and break-in time on the rear & tranny before we make our first pull, hopefully sometime this month. Going to see if we can reprogram the stock computer & change just the rear gear size to correct speedo & mpg.

Also awaiting deliver of some sway bay upgrade bushings.

VEHICLE WEIGHT with 1/2 Tank & Driver (155lbs) 4480_lbs

Next Mod is ignition: October 2008
Weapon X Ultra High Performance COPS
Brisk Racing LGS Plugs
186 RWHP 212 RWTQ 12.9-13.3 Air/Fuel WOT 16.2-19.3 MPG

Next Mod is Induction: Early November 2008
NEW BBK 1-Piece 78mm TB/Plenum
Stock Air Intake & Paper Filter
NEW TPS Sensor & IAC Valve
194 RWHP 217 RWTQ 12.9-13.5 Air/Fuel WOT ??? MPG
ALSO SAW A 10rwhp/10rwtq GAIN AT 5800rpms

Next Mod is Cooling & Pulleys: Late November
Electric Fan Conversion
NEW Waterpump without shaft mount
180 Thermostat (Hope we don’t have to update PI intake)
Underdrive Pulleys
_____RWHP _______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT _______MPG

Next Mod Tuning:
Will Either Be SCT (Bamachips Custom SCT Tune) or Diablo (If Available Bye Then)
_____RWHP _______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT _____ Timing _______MPG

Once we see were we are at with those mods, we will determine what is next.
Those mods will either be our CNC Ported Heads & Custom Cam
OR
Custom Turbo Kit
OR
Supercharged

Other Mods Will Also Include the following
Powerslot Rotors
Hawk Pads
New Painted Calipers
Wheels & Tires
Ground Force Lowering Kit
Custom Paint
HIDS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Geez, what is that 90 mm?

78mm....http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/throttle-bodies/ford-throttle-bodies/mustang-throttle-bodies/96-04-mustang-46l-gt-78mm-throttle-intake.html I just got it yesterday, been waiting on it for weeeeeekkkkkkksssssss, I had a customer with an 04 GT come in this morning, salivating over it, I may sell it to him & see what the dyno gains are with that BBK & our cold air intake setup & order another one, I have a few more weeks before I'm ready to put it on.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

801 lightning-hopefully not a stock bottom (LOL-just joking)!

Making an Explorer go fast is interesting but definately against the grain. I have been doing it for many years. I am about to purchase another ride (which is in my shop now). My next setup will definately be "making the rabbit go faster". If you need a tuner, give me a shout I should be able to assist.-j

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated....Not to jump to another subject, we looked at that UPREV, i have a 350z in the shop using a Utec right now...How do you like that UPREV software..Send me a PM or email mike@uniquetuning.net

I would be interested in hearing of any improvement--please.

Will do, either on that car or the mountaineer...I'm hoping it won't turn out to be a tuning nightmare. But its a pretty nice piece, & very inexpensive considering only like $250 for a TB/Plenum combo, thats alot less than buying it separate & it looks very cool as one piece.

I'm running a C&L upper plenum with a 75mm TB on my 97 Cougar. I didn't dyno it before or after but I did notice better throttle response and better take off from a dead stop.

Other than this and a MAC CAI it is bone stock with 173k on it.

skip the blower and go strait to the turbo;)

I am not going to go into any details on any of my R&D until I have given my research to those business's & have the go ahead from them on publishing information about our findings & there products. People still R&D & release products for small block chevys & cars that are over 50 years old, I don't think a vehicle thats 6 years old is outdated, that would be a close minded business approach, and thinking that way would be a bad business descision, people still make products for fox bodies...

The difference is that those other cars have a certain performance following. The Explorer does too but it is not that large. Just seems behind the power curve with this particular generation of vehicle.

So not sure how this thread got off subject on built motors & what kind of turbo when I clearly stated that it was a future mod after everything else has been done.

Threads go off topic all the time. Sometimes clarification of future plans or intended plans is not a bad thing which is why I asked about those various items. It never was about any kind of pissing contest or "knowledge" chest bumping. Sometimes a question is just a question; and other times a suggestion is just that and should be taken at face value. Good luck with the build.

What water pump and electric fans do you plan on going with?

Its still in top secret status...Pics & Details when its complete..

What is so top secret about an electric water pump and electric fan setup? There are already drop in electric water pumps out there that will fit the Gen3 4.6 2v Explorer. :dunno: Now a drop-in electric fan setup would be a little different... Once again, not trying to bust your balls just pointing a few items out that seem odd to me.

Well, I'd like to say that the thread starter has his hands on the cleanest "underneath" explorer I've seen. Where's the dirt?

What is so top secret about an electric water pump and electric fan setup? There are already drop in electric water pumps out there that will fit the Gen3 4.6 2v Explorer. :dunno: Now a drop-in electric fan setup would be a little different... Once again, not trying to bust your balls just pointing a few items out that seem odd to me.

Whats so "odd" about someone working on there project, what don't you understand that we are R&D'ing new products & are "not" going to release "any" information on some of these until those companies have our data & install feedback before we release the info, the thing about R&D is not everything you attempt or tries works the first time, some companies have done there homework & things work great, others you can work through, some you can't...
Many years ago I had a very old wise man once tell me "son, you will learn more with your ears, eyes & mind open & your mouth closed...." Just give us some time & we'll post the stuff as it happens, its not going to be posted the day its put on. Once we see what its doing & see possible room for improvement & the final design is set, we'll let everyone know.

oy_vey.jpg

Here is what we have done so far:
Stock 4.6L with stock 16" wheels, suspension, & brakes
ALL AWD has been completly Removed (FOR SALE)
New Front Wheel Hubs
ALL New Idler Pulleys & Belt
New Fuel Filter
2 New Stock Coil Packs
Fuel Injection Service
Mobil Synthetic 5w20 Oil / Motorcraft Filter
Built & Racepreped 5r55w transmission with valve body & upgraded TC stall to 3400-3500rpms.
Energy Suspension transmission mount (Universal Mount Custom Fitted)
Moroso Trans Overflow Tank (Still awaiting shipment, Lines Run)
Custom Aluminum Driveshaft with HD U-Joints
Completely rebuilt IRS Diff with TSB Seals 31spline LSD & 3.90 Gear
Custom True Dual Exhaust From Stock Manifolds back with Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler & 3" Tips
200amp Alternator & New Battery
After Break-in We are seeing _____RWHP ______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT & ______MPG

Any progress?

Been spending quite a bit of time on the "Orange" pages since I got my V8 EB. I'm really interested to see how this goes too as my 05 will not be an offroader like my 98 was.

I too want to make my slug quicker.

Trans & Rear is good to go...Just been slammed with work, so just been driving it around...Were in the process of having our own port design CNC'd hopefully before years end, so I may be trying a set of them on there along with a nasty N/A cam...Haven't had a chance to make any dyno pulls yet, but hopefully soon...

Have you ever considered a remote mounted turbo theres a 4.6L exploder over at theturboforums running in the 13s with pretty much just the turbo kit and sct tuning to back it up

Have you ever considered a remote mounted turbo theres a 4.6L exploder over at theturboforums running in the 13s with pretty much just the turbo kit and sct tuning to back it up

yeah, just easier/cheaper to build my own the way I want to obtain my goal..

UPDATE - Still no tuner yet, just dynoing mods. BBK 78mm TB & Plenum made a 10rwhp/10rwt gain at 5800rpms, Air/Fuel still steady.
plugs_cop_dualexhaust_bbk78tb.jpg

Back