Project Opinion Wanted: '93 XLT vs. '99 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Opinion Wanted: '93 XLT vs. '99 Sport

So I'm at a bit of a cross roads in how I want to continue with my Ex.

I currently have a '93 XLT, w/ 6" lift, 35" tires, Aussie Locker Front, 5 sp that looks like the following:
Camp%20EOTB%20312.jpg

I recently bought a full width D44 which I intend on rebuilding. But I also have a '99 Sport sitting in the yard which is basically only missing the transmission (donor for the '93)

So I'm considering two options:
1) Keep going down the same route and SAS the '93. I'd also like to chop the rear hatch and add a cage, 4-link the rear etc. etc.

or

2) Do a nice slow build on the '99 and just continue to wheel the '93 as is.

I like the shorter overall length of the Sport and could take my time and could do things that I'd like to do to the '93 but honestly will probably never get around to doing. On the other hand, I'd probably be looking at build schedule that would make IZWacks rig look like a weekend project.

I'm also kinda sentimental about the '93 based on all the work I've already put into it. We've been through a lot together.

I'd really like some feedback on this since I keep flip-flopping between the two ideas. And the guys I normally wheel with aren't much help since the only recommendation I get from them is to buy a Jeep.

My recommendation is to SAS the 1st gen since it has a better front frame section and steering box already in place.

Back