Pulled my plugs. How do they look? One is different than the others. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulled my plugs. How do they look? One is different than the others.

ngrover

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Aerostar XLT AWD
I'm trying to rescue a 1997 4.0 ohv Aerostar from a field. It has 160,000 miles and I don't know what it's history is. It has a bit of a miss when accelerating hard and the idle could be a bit smoother. I'm working through my list of maintenance tips thanks to all of you on this forum. I just changed the spark plugs and I'm wondering what you think of them. There is one that seems a bit oily but I'm not sure if the oil is being burnt in the cylinder (worn valve etc) or if it is just leaking somehow down into the depression where the plug sits. If it's coming from the top then where would the oil leak from?

Anything unusual here?

Are these the original Autolite plugs that came with the van?

Thanks!

CIMG9392.JPG

CIMG9395.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? Are these ballpark normal for 160,000 miles or is the one on the bottom left the sign of big trouble?

Replace the plugs, and see how it runs. If they are that old, you would expect to see something on them. How are the cables?

The cables "look" fine, but I put new ones on as well as doing the following:

- clean MAS/MAF,
- clean IAC
- new lower intake gasket
- new upper intake gasket
- new plenum gaskets
- new valve cover gaskets
- new injector o-rings (and tested to 14-15 ohm's across terminals)
- new fuel filter
- oil change
- plugs and wires

Hopefully one of those cures the miss i have under acceleration. Those are maintenance items at this point in the van's life.

I'm almost done... I'll let ya know if it cures my problems tomorrow. I'm just wondering if the bottom left plug in the pics is cause for concern.

Obviously routine maintenance wasn't a priority with the previous owner. but what you see on the outside of the plug came from the outside and what you see on the electrode is from the inside.

I would replace the plugs and see how it runs. See if it is burning oil or doing any missing. If not you are probably OK. If it is burning oil to any degree you are probably looking at a bigger problem.

Obviously routine maintenance wasn't a priority with the previous owner. but what you see on the outside of the plug came from the outside and what you see on the electrode is from the inside.

I would replace the plugs and see how it runs. See if it is burning oil or doing any missing. If not you are probably OK. If it is burning oil to any degree you are probably looking at a bigger problem.

When it was running before taking apart, it was not obvious that it would be burning oil. The exhaust seemed fine. I'll have to watch the oil level over time I guess.

No wonder van's live a short life. It was really really hard just to change the plugs. I would imagine it is easier on an Explorer.

It may be easier to change the plugs in an X, but it isn't that easy with them.

Interesting.... then I guess it's because it's a van ;) ... I'd rather have an Explorer. My off-roader used to be a Suzuki Grand Vitara. I need the van for hauling the tent-trailer. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. So far nobody has come out and said my engine is toast. The electrodes don't look much different across all six. Just that one seems to have collected oil (somehow) from the top.

The van runs great!

I spent some time on it today and did some long over-due maintenance. My engine miss under load is gone and it idles perfectly. It feels really strong. I'm not sure which of the things I did fixed it. Here is what I did:

- New fuel filter
- New plugs and wires
- New lower intake, upper Intake, valve cover, and plenum gaskets
- Clean MAF/MAS
- Clean IAC
- Clean throttle body
- New air filter
- New injector o-rings

Thanks to this forum! Thanks again. Great group here and lots of friendly information.

Thanks for the update! You must have tiny hands to get to those intake gaskets. I know what's involved with the plugs.

Haha, yes that is for sure. I am a computer programmer so yeah I have tiny, weak hands :)

I noticed you have a number of Aero's. Good to know there are other Aero owners on the forum to help out.

Now for a transmission fluid flush, brakes, then a wheel bearing. I really hope the previous owner(s) were on top of trans fluid changes. Judging by the transmission dipstick, the oil looks fairly clean and still a transparent red.

How hard is the wheel bearing to do on an all-wheel drive? My passenger side is very shot so I assume the race is toast as well (repack won't cut it). I'm wondering if I should go to the junk yard and pull an entire knuckle and just repack the bearing?

Did the Ford's of the 90's come with Autolite plugs from the factory? I'm wondering if those plugs I pulled are the originals.

None of my Aerostars have E-4WD. According to a technical training manual from Ford, it says that it has electronic 4 wheel drive with a TC-28 transfer case, model 28-8 front axle, and an electromagnetic clutch with a separate control module. It says that the E-4WD version is a 1/2" higher than the other models, but who will notice something like this? Getting back to the plugs, I have a few links with information in # 70 in my list of useful threads for additional reading.

Did the Ford's of the 90's come with Autolite plugs from the factory? I'm wondering if those plugs I pulled are the originals.

Autolite is a Honeywell company (as is Fram, Prestone, Bendix, and others) - not affiliated with Ford. They would not have been original.
Autolite is contracted by Ford to manufacture the Motorcraft plugs to Fords specs. Anyone telling you that an Autolite plug is the same as Motorcraft is wrong. They have their own spec's for their plugs.

OMG! I remember doing plugs on my old Areo! I have several extensions and swivels thanks to it! Did them once - never again!

Ah the Aero, havent' had it for long but i'm loving it more and more...

After a few days of driving it around and after doing the maintenance listed above it is running really really well. My wife prob thought I was a bit crazy for rescuing this thing from a farm field but now she's thankful ;) In terms of refinement and build quality it ties for last with the dodge omni i used to own way back when (well maybe not that bad, at least the doors hinges are not welded on like the omni)... but for some reason that is ok on the Aero, the rattles and truck like ride add a little character to the old girl.

Now that I've been under the hood and removed the intake etc, I'm not so afraid to do it again. So long as I don't have to pull the engine any time soon I'll be happy ;) It was probably easier for me to change the plugs because I did it when the intake was out.

I still have to do a wheel bearing and trans filter/flush. Then it's ready for towing the tent trailer in the summer. I've never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission.. anything I should be aware of? Is it true that all Aerostars have trans coolers? Whats up with "locking the torque converter". I read that somewhere and have no idea what that means or how to do it (or if it's a good idea when towing). I have the 5R55E.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back