• Register Today It's free!

Pulling sideways

highvan

Reaction score
City, State
NWPA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer sport
I have a 91 explorer sport that i bought about 3 months ago, I don't drive it very often, i just use it for hunting. I noticed when i first got it, it seemed the alignment was off a little, but nothing to bad. the other day when i was driving it, i bumped on the 4X4 and low range buttons by accident as i was going about 30mph ( i have a habit of putting my hands on the heat vents, and bumped it) I didn't realize at first what i had done and it felt like i got a flat tire, so i drove to where i could pull off and when i got out and checked it, the tire was fine, so when i got back in, i noticed that i had bumped the buttons. So i turned them back off and started to drive again and it seemed to be fine. Over the last week, i have noticed that the "alignment" seems to be off more now, with the explorer pulling to one side or the other and at times it almost feels like it's jerks to the side. If i hold the steering wheel tight and keep it strait, it's "driveable", but if i was to loosen my grip on the wheel, it would pull to the right or left pretty bad. I'm not sure what it could be???

Also, the guy who owned it before me had trouble in the past with the auto-4x4, so he switched it over to manual hubs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aren't you supposed to back up some after disengaging the 4x4 to allow the lockers to "un-lock"...???

could've sworn i read that somewhere.

Its been sitting in my garage since my last post, but today i got the front lifted up and i could wiggle the drivers side front pretty good. I took the tire off and i can wiggle the caliper about and inch or so either way, so i'm thinking the bearings are shot in it. Should i just take it to a shop to have done or is it something i could do myslef. Thanks

Here is a couple of pics, I can wiggle the disc break pretty easy the way it is.

Thanks

...From your huge pics I see a loose spindle nut setup...

...It looks like you are missing the splined washer and c-clip to retain your spindle nuts...I would also look for the locking pin on on your your inner spindle nut as it is possibly no longer there...

...You may find some pictures and info on parts here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232754

Ya, what is in the pics is whats there, so idk if when the past owner made the switch from auto to manual hubs, they might of left a few pieces out. Im not even sure what conversion this is....

...If that locking pin is gone you can get the set for $10 bucks each side in the thread I posted thru most offroad shos and some auto parts stores...Junkyard is the best way to easily find the splined washer and c clip...

....You could hit the junkyard and get the parts for cheap or contact Kbabiak on the bottom of the Forums page...He is in Pa..;)

The other thing to check for a pull to the right is the right side radius arm bushing. When these go soft and wear out, the rear of the radius arm pushes up, causing negative caster on the right side, and thus a pull to the right. Very common.

if your truck has manual hubs you should have nuts like in the picture
32720.jpg

(image for reference) but the same on a 91 explorer. It is a hub conversion kit. You'll have to use a special socket to tighten or chould use a punch and hammer.
attachment.jpg

So should i just buy that kit or can i just buy the one side? Ive been looking for pic of one that was right, so i could compare it with mine, but with no luck. So do you think the bearings are good and it just needs to be tight with the correct and or missing parts

Looking at the first picture you have I see you have the manual conversion. You probably just need to tighten the jam nuts. As long as the bearing still moves good and never ran dry it should be good. You might want to pack the bearings.
-Remove the first nut. Slide of the locking ring. Undo the last nut. (remember the order of the nuts, the nut next to the bearing has a pin on that nut.) Check both bearings and repack if good. Tighten up the frist nut to where the wheel will roll with a little drag. Slide the locking ring, lining up the keyway and the pin. Tighten the last (frist nut off) nut against the locking ring. Jam it all together, ether using that socket or a punch and hammer. You will have to remove the caliper to remove the disc, if you pack both bearings. Slide on the Manual hub over it all, put the tire on and good it go. Now go try the 4X4 drive.

Why do you need to buy one for the other side?

But also check the threads on the spindle to make sure that the auto hubs didn't mess up that. Did on mine, had to replace the spindle.

I belive this is how I it did it on my 91. You can rent that socket from autozone.

Ya, i only wanted to do the one side, i just didn't know if you could get the kit in just one side... I'll give that a try though, i'm going to run to autozone as soon as the old lady gets home. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!!!! I'll let you know how i make out, thanks again

I just looked and I see what Tbars4 said.. There is a splined washer and a c-clip looking thing that is supposed to keep the axle from going into the spindle. I don't see those in the pics.

Was that taken off right before the pic? If not, I "think" you may have problems with the hubs staying engaged since the axle will pull into the spindle.

~Mark

All i did was take the tire off and take the pic. Maybe some of the "missing" things are on the other side or in the hub part... I'll go take a better look. Im not to worried about using four wheel drive, i just want to make it drive able for short over town trips.

Back