Push Button Ignition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push Button Ignition

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Exlorer
My mom's arthritis has gotten so bad that she is unable to turn the key from the "Run" position to start the car. I am thinking of adding a push button momentary switch so all she will have to do is position the key to the "Run" position and then push the button.

I searched here on this site and found the "bulldogsecurity" site for access to the wire diagram which appears to be the Red/Blue wire for starting only one wire?

The rest of the search findings showed either bypass ignition key completely or some other method. What I want to do is preserve the original operation of the key/ignition switch with the option of either using the key itself to start the car or by just using the key to its "Run" postion and pushing the button.

What is missing, is that where is this red/blue wire (easy Location) and how should I wire it? Are two wires need for start?

Thank You...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on the wiring diagram, it looks pretty simple. All you should need to do is at the ignition switch. Connect the yellow wire to the red/light blue wire thru a push button switch. This assumes that turning the key to RUN will activate all of the PATS stuff to allow the engine to start when the button is pushed. Good luck.

Here is a great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Thanks bobflood,

i will check it out. So one wire to push button switch the otherbwire from push nutton switch to ground. Is that correct?

Thanks bobflood,

i will check it out. So one wire to push button switch the other wire from push nutton switch to ground. Is that correct?

Nope. Connect the spring loaded push button switch between the yellow and red /light blue wires at the ignition switch connector. You are basically bypassing the "Start" connection in the ignition switch with the push button. The yellow wire carries battery voltage; the red/light blue wire goes to the neutral safely switch (keeps starter from working unless in Park or Neutral) and then the "activation" side of the starter relay. Pushing the button connects battery voltage thru the safety switch, which then activates the starter relay. This cause the starter to operate; releasing the button causes it to spring open and the starter will stop - just like when you release the key switch from the "Start"position. Good luck.

not to ground!

Thanks bobflood,

i will check it out. So one wire to push button switch the otherbwire from push nutton switch to ground. Is that correct?

If you connect the other wire to ground you will just blow Fuse 5 (50 amps).

If she can't turn from run to start, how can she turn from lock to run?

I did this to my 98 ranger for the same reason, or at least my Mech. did. Instruction came with the button. Love it.
You can look on ebay for starter button and the ads show the wiring diagram.

If you connect the other wire to ground you will just blow Fuse 5 (50 amps).

If she can't turn from run to start, how can she turn from lock to run?

Looking at the switch head on at its off position it sits at a 10 o'clock position. To turn the switch to start the switch must be rotated to its 3 o'clock position. This is where my Mom experiences the pain in her wrist and unfortunately where the worst part of her arthritis is located.

Run/On position sits at 1 o'clock.

carpal tunnel syndrome

I can relate to pain in certain positions. I have carpal tunnel syndrome from too much wrenching, backyard landscaping and computer typing. There are certain positions of both wrists that result in fairly intense pain. I apply generic Bengay to both wrists every night before going to bed.

I started to look into the remote start switches but I am coming into an impasse. Because the two places I went to purchase products from want me to spend 300 dollars for features I do not need or want. I just need a push start switch with no other features.

Starting this project for my mom I initially concluded that I would need a high amp high voltage relay for the switch. I found online some vendors selling push start switches with no relay. I asked them if I needed a relay and they said no because it is a universal switch. However, I know that a switch without a relay is an invitation for disaster not designed for such an application. Because of the high voltages and prolonged high current demands during an engine start. The switch contact points are in most instances just to small to carry and maintain such demand. Either it will fail prematurely or eventually fail unexpectedly.

Putting the ignition key to unlock the steering wheel and placing it to the on postion is fine and that is what I want.

I checked eBay and found the switches - ton's of them but with bad reveiws. The other sites I checked are:

www.digitalguarddawg.com

www.bulldogsecurity.com

I am going to call them and see if they can help me. Perhaps someone here has found a good quality switch please let me know.

I believe a relay rated at 24VDC with 20 Amps should work, but I am not an automotive expert.

Gee, and I thought this was going to be easy.

A freightliner FLD or classic has push button start, it uses 2 relays. You would only need the smaller relay. A truck salvage yard will have what you need cheap.

no relay needed

The only current that will be passing thru the push button switch will be that required to energize the starter motor relay. The fuse for the circuit is rated at 7.5 amps. I would not use a 3.0 amp rated switch but I suspect a 6.0 amp rated switch would be adequate.

The only current that will be passing thru the push button switch will be that required to energize the starter motor relay. The fuse for the circuit is rated at 7.5 amps. I would not use a 3.0 amp rated switch but I suspect a 6.0 amp rated switch would be adequate.

Thank you for the information. Do you think I should fuse the 12volt supply to the realy and place a diode from the realy to the starter wire? So, current cannot travel back to the switch or perhaps just the relay is enough.

By the way www.digitalguarddawg.com called me back and they came up with a switch and relay for me and harness. Really nice people very helpful and understanding.

Nothing from www.bulldogsecurity.com so far and I called them yesterday and again today.

You are over thinking this. There is no need for a high current switch or another relay. A simple spring loaded push button switch, wired as I described earlier, is all you need to provide. 2000StreetRod confirmed that this is a low current situation. Good luck.

You are over thinking this. There is no need for a high current switch or another relay. A simple spring loaded push button switch, wired as I described earlier, is all you need to provide. 2000StreetRod confirmed that this is a low current situation. Good luck.

Yep, I am over complicating this. Must keep it simple!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are wanting to replicate the ignition system you would need everything in that diagram. If you want to keep the keyed ignition switch and just add a push button you can just go with the very first part of the diagram, using the push button and the relay labeled starter. From your posts it looks like your mom is having trouble turning the key from run to start, correct? If she can turn the key on, then just the one relay is needed.

Back