Question about cd changer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about cd changer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you all are aware that ford put 6 disk changers in from the factory

mine is in the arm rest i would look for one from the factory in maybe a wrecked one but the only problem is i cant seem to find anyone else that has one like it the reason i say it was installed in the factory is becouse the 6 disk cartridge and the unit have ford part #'s on them and the factory radio has all the buttons on it too ive looked at a lot of other explorers and never found another one like mine any one got any info

bnichols04 said:
I was thinking about getting this changer:http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8866&qp=0&oid=89734&m=0 where do you think I should put it when I get one? I was thinking in the arm rest thingy too but will a 10 disc fit?

I personally would not get that one. I have never heard of ESA, and I've been around all kinds of audio gear for over 10 years. You get what you pay for when it comes to car audio, and that's a little too cheap. Also, I didn't see anywhere that it said it would play CD-R's, which would be a problem if you burn a lot of CD's. I know that I burn a copy of every CD I own so as to keep the original safe. If it doesn't play CD-R's, I wouldn't even think about it. Also, the reviews only gave it a 3.3 out of 5. Not very good if you ask me.

ive got a factory 6 disk changer if anyone wants to make an offer on it, the reason i got rid of it is that the laser eye needs to be realigned, i dont know how involved the process really is but i was told its a pretty simple fix.

My explorer does not come with a premium sound system so the wireing for the "factory cd changer" would not exist. Also I was putting new 6x8 in the rear doors and there are more holes for another 6x8!! So each back door can hold 2 6x8! I will definately go out and put some in! (I don't know if anny one else knew that or I am just slow) lol

Ok, the factory six disk changer would not work due to the inability to hook it to a aftermarket HU. A changer is not hard to install at all. You have the power contol bos that has 3 wires. constant, remote, and ground. Then you will have the FM modulator which has an antenna wire that plugs into the HU and a wire that you plug the real antenna wire into. then you will have a thick cable which sends the signal to the changer. It will come from the control box and go to the changer itself. That is all there is other than the remote control. The only downfall to a cd changer is that they skip alot worse than most HU's. With them being bolted directly to a surface that does not give any at all, they will respond to every bump or pothole that you feel. Hope this helps.

Also get a name brand changer if you do get one. A really cheap noname will perform horrible most likely.

Back