Question for transmission tech about 5r55e | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for transmission tech about 5r55e

greg s

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4wd sohc Explorer
Had a chance to drop the pan and VB on my 97 4x4 explorer to figure out my shifting problem. Found that the VB gasket was shredded. So I carefully took the plate off to replace the gaskets, and just checked the inside of the vb to make sure everything was there and in the correct place. Thats when I noticed that the tailshaft lube orfice was missing. I was carefull taking it apart, and had it in a pan in case something fell off. Either way it was missing or I lost it and did not have another. But I needed the truck to drive to work so I put it back together, sans the orfice. It seems to shift fine and everything works correctly as the gasket fixed the shifting problem. This is not the original vb as I replaced it about a year ago with a rebuilt one. I would think the lube orfice would be something found in other Ford transmissions and somebody would have experiance with it.

So my questions are.. How important is the orfice? What does it do precisely? And is there a problem with it not being in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you lift the separator plate off they tend to stick to it and then fall off when you move the plate around or it was missing. With out it there would be to much flow, which would lower the pressure within the valve body, which could result in clutches or bands not getting full pressure.

I agree with PopRichie77, they do stick to the plate a lot. I know if you leave them out the pressure drop is enough to cause them to slip in forward and reverse.

Since yours is not slipping I am thinking that the place you got the replacement valve body may have changed the plate to one that has the orpheus in the plate instead of the little puck. I am not aware of a plate like that but that doesn't mean anything. Thats the only way I know how one would work without the puck.

The orpheus in the puck is .020 - .024

That very well may apply to your valve body, looks like a special plate went with those casting numbers, which you may have. Did you use an inch pound torque wrench on the valve body bolts? Improper torque on the bolts will cause the gasket to fail, puck has nothing to do with gasket failure.

I used a inch pound torque wrench and did it in a couple of stages. Is there a way to id the valve body to tell what year transmission its from? The bulletin was for only 2 months but I guess there is a possibilty its what I got. I feel like I should find a new orfice and drop the VB back down and check things out.

Casting number should be on the valve body, (main control) and they show you what the cut outs on the edge of the plate look like.

I understand that about the one in the bulletin. I was wondering how to determine what year it is from if its not the one in the bulletin. Thanks

Back