Question on upper intake manifold gasket replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on upper intake manifold gasket replacement

twanhines

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer V6
As some of you may know, this past summer I've had some problems with gas mileage and gas fumes. Well I fixed the problem! Turns out the O rings was needing replacing. But with replacing the O rings, I was automatically obligated to replace the upper intake manifold gasket. Now that I've done that, the truck idles rough!! When I first start it up, it idles fine then it goes between 0 and 1 and then works its way up past 1 and then comes back to it. It drives perfectly fine, and accelerates great. But I was wondering if during the o ring and intake gasket replacement, was I suppose to disconnect the negative battery terminal? I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but I've been seeing different things on doing that to reset the computer. I just want my baby to stop that horrible idling!! It's scaring me. Please help, if I'm suppose to, is there any certain way I'm to reset the ECM computer, or just disconnect negative terminal? Thanks your college student twanhines:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As some of you may know, this past summer I've had some problems with gas mileage and gas fumes. Well I fixed the problem! Turns out the O rings was needing replacing. But with replacing the O rings, I was automatically obligated to replace the upper intake manifold gasket. Now that I've done that, the truck idles rough!! When I first start it up, it idles fine then it goes between 0 and 1 and then works its way up past 1 and then comes back to it. It drives perfectly fine, and accelerates great. But I was wondering if during the o ring and intake gasket replacement, was I suppose to disconnect the negative battery terminal? I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but I've been seeing different things on doing that to reset the computer. I just want my baby to stop that horrible idling!! It's scaring me. Please help, if I'm suppose to, is there any certain way I'm to reset the ECM computer, or just disconnect negative terminal? Thanks your college student twanhines:p:

to rest it, disconnect the neg cable for 30 mins or so. then fire her up and let her idle to "relearn".

as far as the rough idle, did you double check all your vac lines? could be the cause imo.

another thought is, the egr(steam thru the plenum) gasket, did you change it? are you sure you got it seated all the and proper? the seals to tend to leak after time as all do, if you did not change that out im thinking it could be letting air by maybe. you can always check for leaks with a propane torch, just do not ignite the propane coming out. -- if its a SOHC, not sure about the OHV's...

i would be checking for a vac leak though.

another noob question, where are the vac lines on my 5.0 engine truck? and wouldn't there be a sound like a hissing noise?

another noob question, where are the vac lines on my 5.0 engine truck? and wouldn't there be a sound like a hissing noise?
not necessarily, it could be a small one.

and oh sorry, 5.0L are out of my range. im a 4.0 SOHC guy :(. good luck man:thumbsup:

to rest it, disconnect the neg cable for 30 mins or so. then fire her up and let her idle to "relearn".

as far as the rough idle, did you double check all your vac lines? could be the cause imo.

another thought is, the egr(steam thru the plenum) gasket, did you change it? are you sure you got it seated all the and proper? the seals to tend to leak after time as all do, if you did not change that out im thinking it could be letting air by maybe. you can always check for leaks with a propane torch, just do not ignite the propane coming out. -- if its a SOHC, not sure about the OHV's...

i would be checking for a vac leak though.

Is it recommended to disconnect the negative terminal to reset the computer while doing the job? Is it possible this would fix the problem if I did it now since i didn't at first?

So I found the problem, turns out that the top o ring on the front injector has cracks on it. It's at the very front on the left. Now is it possible for me to change the o ring out without going through hassle of taking the intake off? By the way this is a 5.0V8. If it is can an explanation be posted so I can do this? The rough idling is quite annouying.

Back