Questions about Driving mode and intelligent 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about Driving mode and intelligent 4wd

HOUSE D

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys I am a new owner of a 2021 Ford Explorer XLT. I have only had it a couple weeks now and I am not used to have some of these fancy options in the driving mode. My previous vehicle was a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. It had intelligent 4WD which I think was a fancy way of saying auto 4WD. Here are my questions:

How do I know if my vehicle has intelligent 4WD? My previous vehicle it was obvious. Here not so much. I did read in the owners manual something about the vehicle sensing slippage and responding to it which sounded like it would kick in the 4WD.

For the driving mode. If I switch to slippery or deep snow/sand is that the equivalent of switching it to 4WD? We had a dab of snow here and it wasn't really enough for deep snow but thought I would use the slippery setting. Although I like the choices I do have to say that I miss the simplicity of a button that said 4WD HI and 4WD Lo and Auto 4WD. Otherwise I am loving the vehicle.

On an unrelated note but a question that just hit me...how do I know if I have the pre-collision warning assist for vehicle in front of me. Is that in the general settings on the infotainment screen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slippery mode is much like regular 4 wheel drive. It does slow the throttle response to reduce the chance of spinning the wheels. I can't for sure but would think you have pre-collision warning. Do you have the window sticker for it? If so you should see it on there.

Hey guys I am a new owner of a 2021 Ford Explorer XLT. I have only had it a couple weeks now and I am not used to have some of these fancy options in the driving mode. My previous vehicle was a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. It had intelligent 4WD which I think was a fancy way of saying auto 4WD. Here are my questions:

How do I know if my vehicle has intelligent 4WD? My previous vehicle it was obvious. Here not so much. I did read in the owners manual something about the vehicle sensing slippage and responding to it which sounded like it would kick in the 4WD.

For the driving mode. If I switch to slippery or deep snow/sand is that the equivalent of switching it to 4WD? We had a dab of snow here and it wasn't really enough for deep snow but thought I would use the slippery setting. Although I like the choices I do have to say that I miss the simplicity of a button that said 4WD HI and 4WD Lo and Auto 4WD. Otherwise I am loving the vehicle.

On an unrelated note but a question that just hit me...how do I know if I have the pre-collision warning assist for vehicle in front of me. Is that in the general settings on the infotainment screen?
The vehicle is RWD biased and will automatically switch to AWD (if equipped) when it senses the need. The 5th and 6th gen Explorers do not have a true 4WD system in that there is no Hi and Lo. I seldom change the driving mode, even in winter unless experiencing severe conditions.
Did you get the Owner's Manual with the vehicle when you bought it? PreCollision Assist starts on page 273 and yes it is programmable under "Settings".

Peter

On my 2020 XLT, it has a feature to show where the torque is going while you are driving. Assuming it is relatively accurate and not an idiot light like most things, I had that screen showing when I first bought the SUV. The only difference I noticed between the settings was in regular or eco the front wheels didn't get much torque, unless I really got on the throttle. I did notice in slippery setting the front wheels got more torque at less throttle and for a much longer time.

That would be the Intelligent 4WD display.

Peter

On my 2020 XLT, it has a feature to show where the torque is going while you are driving. Assuming it is relatively accurate and not an idiot light like most things, I had that screen showing when I first bought the SUV. The only difference I noticed between the settings was in regular or eco the front wheels didn't get much torque, unless I really got on the throttle. I did notice in slippery setting the front wheels got more torque at less throttle and for a much longer time.
Yeah then I don't have the intelligent 4 wd drive then because I don't have the option to see the torque.

Yeah then I don't have the intelligent 4 wd drive then because I don't have the option to see the torque.
Have you tried to add it to your information display?

Here are a couple screenshots that should help you find it. There is more in the owners manual.

1706187191840.png

1706187256888.png

That would be the Intelligent 4WD display.

Peter
I just went and checked mine and on the Aviator it is referred to as the Power Distribution display. ;)
I deleted the Calm Screen and added the new option to the settings.

Peter

Wow, these cars are getting super complicated. I'm glad I stuck with my 2004, even if it doesn't have the manual hvac controls that I prefer.

Wow, these cars are getting super complicated. I'm glad I stuck with my 2004, even if it doesn't have the manual hvac controls that I prefer.
Computers on wheels. :D

Peter

Back