Rear Wheel Drive vs. Intelligent 4WD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wheel Drive vs. Intelligent 4WD

Thanks Dale... Doesn't really address my question- but I suppose I need to look at a performance forum to discuss how AWD affects cornering at high speed for vehicle with higher center of gravity
You need to drive one . Generally ANY AWD vehicle will handle curves better than just RWD or FWD, but it really doesn't matter, if you are buying an Explorer for high speed cornering, I think you're looking at it all wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to drive one . Generally ANY AWD vehicle will handle curves better than just RWD or FWD, but it really doesn't matter, if you are buying an Explorer for high speed cornering, I think you're looking at it all wrong.
It is not an awd vehicle it will not handle any different unless your in sport mode then it would probably corner a little bit better it's a rwd based 4wd vehicle as other people stated if you hit a patch of dirt unexpectedly at high speeds your going sideways.

It is not an awd vehicle it will not handle any different unless your in sport mode then it would probably corner a little bit better it's a rwd based 4wd vehicle as other people stated if you hit a patch of dirt unexpectedly at high speeds your going sideways.
Whatever, like I said, if you're buying an Explorer for high speed cornering, you need to re-think your life.
Also, it IS AWD, not 4WD, no locking center differential, all computer controlled, but under most conditions, same result. And the AWD is (typically) always active.

Whatever, like I said, if you're buying an Explorer for high speed cornering, you need to re-think your life.
Also, it IS AWD, not 4WD, no locking center differential, all computer controlled, but under most conditions, same result. And the AWD is (typically) always active.
I agree if your buying an Explorer for speed and cornering the weight is not in this guys favors that's ford for you. I will say a sadan will handle cruves way better.

I agree if your buying an Explorer for speed and cornering the weight is not in this guys favors that's ford for you. I will say a sadan will handle cruves way better.
Some people occasionally carry cargo and take their families on trips, but still want something sporty to drive every day. This is why they created the ST Trim. And the Range Rover Sport SVR. And the BMW X Series M cars. And the G-Series AMG. Sports SUV's are legitimate market segment.

Some people occasionally carry cargo and take their families on trips, but still want something sporty to drive every day. This is why they created the ST Trim. And the Range Rover Sport SVR. And the BMW X Series M cars. And the G-Series AMG. Sports SUV's are legitimate market segment.
OR the Aviator GT, TONS of power/torque, which does counteract the TONS (literally) of Curb Weight!
And while I HATE the idea of replacing those ridiculously expensive 21" tires, it does handle and ride much better then I hoped for. And "Excite" mode is a blast.

The replacement cost of the 21s was partly what swayed me away from the Platinum I was originally looking at.
Dealer lack of communication was the main bit. And I wasn't going to make a 90 min drive to check it out. Found my Limited about 20 min from my office & that dealer was much easier to work with.

The replacement cost of the 21s was partly what swayed me away from the Platinum I was originally looking at.
Dealer lack of communication was the main bit. And I wasn't going to make a 90 min drive to check it out. Found my Limited about 20 min from my office & that dealer was much easier to work with.
I think, the ease of working with a dealer's sales team drives a lot of the buying. One Ranger we looked at had been used by a dealership employee to move houses. The end result was the truck was extremely dirty inside, scratched and dented bed and bumper and damage to the body of the truck. I pointed out the damage to the vehicle and was told the dealership had hundreds of cars they were responsible for and couldn't really be concerned with one vehicle. I lost interest, but figured this could be fun. I laughed and said I was only concerned with one vehicle and couldn't care less about the other hundreds of cars the dealership had to manage. Their initial offer was $500 off for the damage. I responded that they wanted me to buy a used vehicle for $500 off. It was a floor model that had been abused. Their second offer was $750 off. I laughed, shook my head, thanked the guy and walked out.

A couple weeks later we found our Explorer at a dealership about 100 miles from that one (it was closer to our house, but going the other direction). The explorer was literally one of the easiest purchases I have ever made with a car. Walked in, drove the car, told them I had X-plan but didn't have the paperwork done yet and walked out without having to have that paperwork but with the same price. The whole process took less than 2 hours. The single longest process was the dealership getting the paperwork ready.

Back