questions on exhausts .. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

questions on exhausts ..

v897xlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT AWD v8 5.o
i have a 1997 v8 5.0 AWD XLT, i just got it, well im wounder in what have people done with there stock stuff.... im think bout cuttin my muffler off then, gettin a Y joint and runnin the two lines in to the stock pipe out the back... has any one done this? would i b loosin power, we just did this on my friends suberu, we took his muffler off n ran a straight pipe all the way off... thanks in advanced, btw first post on this forum site...:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

???

Semf

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and it sounds awesome. i wanna eventually get true duals.

i have a 1997 v8 5.0 AWD XLT, i just got it, well im wounder in what have people done with there stock stuff.... im think bout cuttin my muffler off then, gettin a Y joint and runnin the two lines in to the stock pipe out the back... has any one done this? would i b loosin power, we just did this on my friends suberu, we took his muffler off n ran a straight pipe all the way off... thanks in advanced, btw first post on this forum site...:rolleyes:

more flow = more power. there are no exceptions

backpressure for torque is a myth.

i'm not saying that upgrading the exhaust will give you more power (as the stock exhaust probably has sufficient flow for a stock engine) i'm just saying it wont hurt anything... it'll just make it louder and more obnoxious.

more flow = more power. there are no exceptions

backpressure for torque is a myth.

i'm not saying that upgrading the exhaust will give you more power (as the stock exhaust probably has sufficient flow for a stock engine) i'm just saying it wont hurt anything... it'll just make it louder and more obnoxious.

louder is kinda what im goin :p:for lol, if i had more money i would get a new muffler, but a Y joint and a lil bit of pipe, n are welder is only like 30 bucks, thanks for for the info, i just wanted to make sure it would screw anything up....

louder is kinda what im goin :p:for lol, if i had more money i would get a new muffler, but a Y joint and a lil bit of pipe, n are welder is only like 30 bucks, thanks for for the info, i just wanted to make sure it would screw anything up....

remember, in general, larger pipe diamater = lower pitch exhaust note (think pipe organ pipes) a smaller, longer, more restrictive pipe helps the muffler muffle better (unless you go tiny then it sounds poppy and horrible)

you could try a flowmaster 40 or something, but if you really want loud and you're cheap, i'd run no muffler (just straight pipe it after the cats) and see how that sounds.. if it's too loud, then add the muffler.

remember, in general, larger pipe diamater = lower pitch exhaust note (think pipe organ pipes) a smaller, longer, more restrictive pipe helps the muffler muffle better (unless you go tiny then it sounds poppy and horrible)

you could try a flowmaster 40 or something, but if you really want loud and you're cheap, i'd run no muffler (just straight pipe it after the cats) and see how that sounds.. if it's too loud, then add the muffler.

well would u think the stock 2 1/4 is to small? cuse i dont know about all them bends after the resonator....i was gonna just leave that lil section of pipe? i kno wit r old truck we had 3 inch pipe n i loved the tone it had, but them bends....

well would u think the stock 2 1/4 is to small? cuse i dont know about all them bends after the resonator....i was gonna just leave that lil section of pipe? i kno wit r old truck we had 3 inch pipe n i loved the tone it had, but them bends....

3" will sound a lot deeper than 2 1/4. as far as flow, dual 2 1/4 would be plenty, in fact, if the engine is stock, even single 2 1/4 would probably be OK

personally, i think 2.5" pipes sound ideal on a v8

also remember there are a lot of videos on youtube of various exhaust setups, you can search up what other people have done and see how it sounds (yes i know through the computer speakers isn't what it'll really sound like but it gives you an idea)

for instance.. here's a 'tube video of my bronco with dual 2.5" pipes and thrush mufflers. no cats though, keep in mind if you're running cats it's going to take away a little of the "roar" of the engine too. cats seem to "smooth" the sound out a bit.. hard to explain i know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X-QDelPBzo

good vid, n ya i get wht ur sayin thanks, ya u got any sugestions for those bad bends after the resonator?

Back