anybody run no muffler on a 5.0 X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anybody run no muffler on a 5.0 X?

Mr.Moore

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene,Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT V8 AWD
Has anybody with a 5.0 X ever run with just the cats and stock resonator and taken the muffler off and welded a straight pipe in it's place? How did it sound?
thanks for the input

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My friend had a 93 f150 with the 5.0. He ran a straight pipe. I think the motors are tuned different but i imagine it to sound very similar. It was an amazing sound. I loved it. It was obviously loud. Theres a crazy highway drone especially when next to a jersey barrier. When he revved up it would "pop" when he left off from the lack of back pressure. It sounded good though hahaha

JTSmith, have you noticed a bad drone at highway speeds? I was thinking of doing this but I don't want a bad drone....I don't think the wife and kids would enjoy that either..

My truck with no mufflers was more than a drone. On the highway it was like trackside at a nascar race.

I think the the 5.0 explorer would sound like crap with open exhaust

When I still had the stock engine I had a dual glass pack exhaust installed. It sounded crappy and choppy. very crappy and choppy.

With a dual in dual out flowmaster I noticed a terrible drone. It was awful

Then I went to a duramax deisel muffler, which sounded pretty good but it hung way low.

My engine is pretty loud. I now run a magnaflow 2 in single out with a hooker aero chamber stacked behind it.

My son has a magnaflow only on his stock Mounty. It sounds just right.

I really think you'll be unhappy with no mufflers. It will be loud and cool at first, but there will be times when you would like to be quiet.

that's why I was Asking. I want it to have nice tone but not be annoying. Been there... done that... not interested;). thanks for the input. I think I am going to go the magnaflow route. for now my X is stock as well,(Other than the drop I am working on) but I do plan on TM headers as soon as I have the money. They sound like the best thing I can do to for the money to bring My X to life:D Thanks again for the input!

Scott

I've seen on Powerblock, it's a device you install on your exhaust, that you can either route it outside bypassing the muffler, or you can route it through the muffler system for quieter. I've wanted one for a while just for fun... there's a switch you install in your car that you press to select which way you want to go. It was put onto a muscle car, something about having more power/gut/sound when you want it and being able to keep it street legal.

You might be interested in this, I forgot what it's called though, anyone have a link?

I've seen on Powerblock, it's a device you install on your exhaust, that you can either route it outside bypassing the muffler, or you can route it through the muffler system for quieter. I've wanted one for a while just for fun... there's a switch you install in your car that you press to select which way you want to go. It was put onto a muscle car, something about having more power/gut/sound when you want it and being able to keep it street legal.

You might be interested in this, I forgot what it's called though, anyone have a link?

Here is a good deal on a better unit-same concept.

If we can get 10 people interested we can get a group discount.

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

Would you be interested jtsmith? I know you'd probably like to sit a few times and just unleash hell at the people near you on the road, lol. I'd be interested if I could get 2.25 or 2.5 inch piping, I'm upgrading my exhaust and would love to add one of these in for kicks and grins.

Just watch out though, this may not pass state inspection, bit if your'e like me, you dont' have those.

I used to have this exact setup; I had a y-pipe welded in the place of my mufler and a 3.5" tip installed. It sounded great...

This is my truck with only the front cats and little glass backs.

This is a drive By
This is just a reving up in drive way

5.0 definitely needs a muffler, the 5.0 has a ricey/raspy note with straight pipes or glass packs imo. When I had mine done I had them start it and rev it to hear with it just open, sounded like crap, loud, but crap. Thats the one thing missing from this motor, it doesn't have that deep gurgle that the GM's do or even Fords 5.4 in the trucks have, obviously different designs but you know what I mean lol.

The way that mine is it has a nice deep sound to it with some rally nice crackling i have gotten a lot of complements on how it sounds with the setup that i have one it now. :)

Back