How to: - Quick Blend Door Actuator removal for Gen II | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Quick Blend Door Actuator removal for Gen II

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I took it apart to identify the issue....but unable to find a gear, I replaced the whole actuator.

DP,
Regarding your pictures, it looks like you replaced the gear inside the actuator. Can you confirm? If so where did you find the gear?

I am about to tear my 2005 Explorer apart to see what my blend door problem is.

Thanks
Todd S.

Todd, here is the write-up for replacing the Blend Door Actuator:

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

Hope this helps out!!! :biggthump

I'm replying to the 3rd or 4th post. Yes they did change the actuator configuration. It does not just "pop off" with a slotted screw driver. You have to go in with (in my case) a 8mm ratchet. That infamous third screw will come off with an 8mm socket and a 1/4" drive. It takes some patience but when the ratchet quits slip in with a combo wrench. Then use hand torque. I replaced the blend door and the actuator to be safe foe the next couple years. I'll say this if your lazy use the 5 min quick fix to move the blend door by hand (it's in the search. However if you are like me take the time and just do it pseudo right. Cut out the bottom, replace the door with one from rock auto and get yourself a new actuator. They sell them on Ebay and other places. But they sell them with the "adapter" that you would pry off from the plenum. Pry the actuator from the adapter from the actuator and install.

Thanks to all that share their information on the ford forums! I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 with the actuator that pops off. I accessed it from the glove box as directed in previous posts. The actuator motor turned when I adjusted the temp control. It moved SLOW. Does this spell out that the Door has to be replaced or is it possible the actuator is just weak? Or the tip broke off? Thanks for any responses!

Back