quick power steering question

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Alright i am looking at upgrading to synthetic ps fluid. The ford pump is really noisy. First off how much does the stock resovoir take(i missplaced my owners manual)? Also when doing it from what i read when i searched was that you use a turkey blaster to get all the old stuff out...then you just dump in the new stuff and turn the wheel lock to lock a bunch of times?...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all ford pumps are noisy and usually have nothing wrong with them

your method seems about right......

yes i know that ford pumps are noisy i have herd that the synthetic fluid quiets it down a bit. Plus i have heard synthetic is just better for it.

PS fluid in any vehicle goes bad quickly it seems. It has a odd smell to it. Just pull the old fluid out and put new fluid in. If you get any "rough" steering or "skips/jerking" in your steering, it's probably air and it'll work its way out with a few miles

-Drew

To bleed the system, can i unhook one of the ps cooler lines and let it dump out while adding new fluid at the same time? I doubt the fluid has been changed since my dad bought the truck new in 96.

My 98 called for regular mercon/dexron ATF fluid. I used a turkey baster like tool to suck all the fluid out, filled it up with mobil 1 ATF and repeated the process until I got nice clean fluid out. I can't say that its much quieter, but it can't hurt either.

Dan

Back