• Register Today It's free!

Quick question 4 inch lift

arenivar619

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
Hey guys ... Can i install my 4 nch lift kit whithout a longer pitman arm ... Im still getting it i just havent gotten it in the mail... Will it still be driveable ?..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes you can. it will just steer a little funky. ive seen people on the dezert rangers forum throw long arm and bent beam 2wd arms with 8 inch coil overs on rangers with the factory pitman arm. and they will go flyin across the sand doing 60. a 4 inch lift with factory arm will be just fine for a few days driving

Alrite thanks man ... Just needed to clarify that ..

You'll have to get it aligned again when the arm comes in, and it's gonna bump steer like crazy, even with the dropped arm...

You'll have to get it aligned again when the arm comes in, and it's gonna bump steer like crazy, even with the dropped arm...

i dont know about bump steer...i have NEVER had any.
i had the RC drop pitman arm, then the skyjacker FA600 (its bent actually...went mall crawlin and jumped a curb too hard. if anyone wants it to use or bend back just PM me. hahaha) then i went back to the RC drop arm. and again, without a steering stabilizer i have had no bump steer.

this is the combo i had...
RC arm, RC stabilizer, 4x4 drag links
RC arm, RC stabilizer, 2wd drag links
FA600, RC stabilizer, 2wd drag links
FA600, no stabilizer,4x4 drag links
RC arm, no stabilizer ,4x4 drag links (current setup, working just fine)

now my brothers j**P on the other hand....thats a different story!

IF the arm drops your steering geometry to be flat, you shouldn't be getting any bump steer. Its virtually non existent on our X but our steering arms are perfectly flat.

3454400636_5bb18eabc5_z.jpg

Steering Linkage geometry by maniak_az, on Flickr

As already mentioned, you will need to re-align the front end once you put the new pitman arm on since it will change the toe.

~Mark

So for a 4 inch lift im gettibg the f400 correct ?...

The Skyjacker FA600 drop arm would actually match up perfect with a 4" lift (it drops exactly 4" from what the stock arm is).
The FA400 arm should be acceptable for most people however (it's a fair bit cheaper), though it's actual drop amount is only 2" compared to stock, so it's not a perfect solution.

What if i buy two f400 and combine them ? Haha im just kidding ... Thanks man ... Apreciate the help

The Skyjacker FA600 drop arm would actually match up perfect with a 4" lift (it drops exactly 4" from what the stock arm is).
The FA400 arm should be acceptable for most people however (it's a fair bit cheaper), though it's actual drop amount is only 2" compared to stock, so it's not a perfect solution.

Most 4" lifts the fa 600 is too much and will cause a bind

Most 4" lifts the fa 600 is too much and will cause a bind

Ok, wtf??? I'm typing my post and the whole damn computer shuts itself off right in the middle of it like I clicked "Shut down" (the Winblows logoff sound & all)/can't stop it either
F'in POS :crazy::rant::rolleyes:

Starting over again...

The FA600 arm (due to it's shape) does move the steering linkage back toward the axle a bit, which I've seen with some combinations of different brand aftermarket tierod parts, this can cause the linkage to hit at the pitman arm TRE, however this isn't anything to do with the lift, it's the steering linkage.

The FA600 arm is a true 4" drop, and is a perfect match for it. Seems if you have both a tie-rod and drag-link of the same brand (or stock OEM), the chances of them hitting each other are not as great.

compare.jpg

You have the fa 400 arm though.right?

You have the fa 400 arm though.right?

I can never remember.. I'll measure mine so I can put it in writing what it is..

~Mark

i had bad luck with my FA600...and when i did have the FA600 on, i didnt really notice a difference in steering. just my 2 cents.
plus, the FA600 puts a TON of stress on the steering box out put shaft and on the bearing, causing it to leak. literally a month after having mine, my steering box shaft started to have play in it and started leaking. could just be my luck tho. others have had no trouble with the FA600. but i just gave up and went back to the "4" inch drop arm.
either way you slice it, its still gonna steer like a lifted truck...

Ok, I do NOT have the fa600. My measurements look like the middle arm in the pics above (standard drop pitman)..

~Mark

Back