Quick question about keyless entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick question about keyless entry

(I also want to see what a poll is like, so...) Will it work?

• Yea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Prince_Polaris

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
So, I have a 98 explorer with the keyless entry keypad. Since winter is coming, it's usually a good idea to start your car and leave it run so it's nice and warm when it's time to go get in it. The thermometer might say it's 42 outside but the wind is nasty. Anyway, if I start my car up with the key and leave the key inside (obviously) and lock the car up so that it can run, but also nobody can get in, can I use the door lock to get into it?

For example, right now I'm at mcdonalds. If I take my key out and start the car, then lock it and shut the door, it can idle, warm up, and nobody can get into it while I sit in here and finish off this essay while I wait for it. Once I am finished, can I go out, type my XXXXX code in, and will it unlock the door? Or is the keypad disabled when the car is running? I just realized that I can just go out, start the car, hold the door open and try it, but.... I already had this typed up, I'm indoors, so why not ask!? And after all, door open may be different than door closed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i leave my truck running all the time if i run into a store i lock my doors with truck running keys in the ignition i can use my keypad to unlock the doors while its running

REMOTE ENTRY SYSTEM (Page 58)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/98expog1e.pdf

EDIT- Just read the reply below. Owners manuals are NOT always 100% accurate.

If you have a spare key give it a try. LOL

Nice, I'll have to try it tomorrow morning!

i leave my truck running all the time if i run into a store i lock my doors with truck running keys in the ignition i can use my keypad to unlock the doors while its running

Well, it should work then, and jeez I'm indoors and I'm freezing, it's gotta be horrible outside.

Well, why don't you try it with the driver's window open?

It seems just too easy to test this. As mentioned leave the driver's window open. BTW, if you only have one key I strongly suggest you have another one made.

I think I tried that once with either the remote or the keypad when it was running, I don't believe that it did anything. So test it with your window down like others suggested.

I do this on a daily basis with my 2000 Mounty and have never had any problems

Haha yeah, I can't believe I never thought of doing it with the door open! By the way, how come the door locks are impossible to pull up once they're locked? Since they're smooth and too deep in the door to reach, if you're in the car with it locked and the battery dead, the only way I can think of getting out would be to get someone else to come and hand them the key through the back window (since those open manually) and get them to unlock it that way...

Haha yeah, I can't believe I never thought of doing it with the door open! By the way, how come the door locks are impossible to pull up once they're locked? Since they're smooth and too deep in the door to reach, if you're in the car with it locked and the battery dead, the only way I can think of getting out would be to get someone else to come and hand them the key through the back window (since those open manually) and get them to unlock it that way...

The window... with the window open. I need sleep. :(

Having the door lock knobs impossible to pull when locked stops thieves for using a coat hanger to unlock your vehicle (though now-a-days they just break your window). I guess it also stops children from unlocking the door and they make it more comfortable if you like to hang your arm out the window, but don't do this in Australia, as it's illegal.

Having the door lock knobs impossible to pull when locked stops thieves for using a coat hanger to unlock your vehicle (though now-a-days they just break your window). I guess it also stops children from unlocking the door and they make it more comfortable if you like to hang your arm out the window, but don't do this in Australia, as it's illegal.

Huh, that's cool, I guess I'm just used to the modern locks in our jeep and our vans and grandma's impala.. hah, her 88 van has massive door locks, they're these 3 inch things that jerk around when you unlock or lock it, I guess that's part of the custom package. Ah well, the locks on the doors in the vans don't work anyway, so I'd rather have working door locks instead of a thing you can grab.

Both my front doors unlock when you pull the interior door handles and my rear door locks have taller locks with an indention to grab.

Both my front doors unlock when you pull the interior door handles and my rear door locks have taller locks with an indention to grab.

Ahhh that makes sense, so the handles unlock it! And I don't have any rear doors, hehe

Back