Rack and Pinion Power Steering Line | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack and Pinion Power Steering Line

Bullitt94

Reaction score
City, State
De Pere, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Exploder XLT
1996 XLT 4wd 4.0L

I have a leak in the hard line for the power steering going to the passenger side of the rack and Pinion. I see this is not a part available at Autozone. Can I use a brake line to replace this or does someone know where to get a new one?

Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we just went through this last week. the lines on the rack are not available separately from the rack. you could try the salvage yard for a used one. even reman racks come with their original metal lines.

if you can get brake line in the correct diameter and can bend & flare it as required, i don't see why this wouldn't work. i don't know how the Ford p/s lines are flared. they could be double flare (easy to do) or they might be a rib-style with an o-ring (not so easy to do).

Thank you for the reply, koda2000. I was hoping that was not the sad truth about those lines. RATS! Looks like I need to take a trip to the pick and pull this weekend.

When I get a chance I will pull it off to see what the flare looks like. If I can use a break line for it I will let everyone know so we will have that info moving forward.

Thanks again.

I used brake line and reused the fittings because I guess I got the wrong brake line..I dunno but the threads were different.
I had to drill out the old line to reuse the old fittings because they were really stuck in there.
I did not do all the fancy bends..I just went forward from the rack then back again to the steering box.

It was awhile back..I did it on my 95 ..did one then the other about a month later.

That's good info. If I was gonna use a brake line the fancy bend was going to be a gradual u-shape.

I did the repair with a junkyard part. Since it is a PITA to get back in, I went ahead and bent it out and around to the front. Works fine.

This part could easily be replaces with a brake line. It is a metric fitting on the line (uses a 13mm wrench hex). I would think that a parts store that sells metric brake lines would have what it takes. If I get a chance I will look into that some more since my modifications (bends) to the replacement line most likely weakened it and may fail again.

I know this is an old thread but I just had a leak in the rack and pinion passenger side line. I couldn't find a replacement locally so I decided to fabricate the short tube steel line instead. For anyone having to replace theirs, the hard line uses M12X1.75 flare connectors on a 1/4" steel tubing. I had to reuse the old flare nuts since I couldn't find replacements.

Its not too difficult if you have the right tools (flaring kit, tubing cutter, tubing bender, etc)

Back