• Register Today It's free!

Rancho Shocks

kmt

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer sport
Hey all, this is my first post in this forum. I recently purchased a 1998 explorer 2dr sport. I've been reading the forum and plan on doing a torsion twist,rear shackle and add a leaf 2.5" lift. My question is I want to replace the shocks with Rancho 9000x but they are almost double the price compared to the Rancho RS5000 shocks. Are they worth it when all i'll be doing is mudding and not major offroading?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the 5000's and they work great on my 95 4door. With the sway bars disconected the give me big time flex front and back. Not as much in front though.

I like my 9000x's. I find I have them set to 9 just about all the time for highway/city driving. They really hold their own on old logging roads when traveling at high(er) speeds. You can really tailor the ride for maximum suspension travel without bottoming out or bouncing back into the air. For low speed mudding I would save some cash and get the 5000s.

the 5000's work great in my sport. Definite improvement over the worn out stock ones.

I like my 5000s.

I love my bilsteins, you should think about those also.

i loved my 5000's when i first had them on. however now they're shot. had them a bit over a year (prolly closer to 18 months)

i have had both RS5000's and RSX and i like the RSX shocks a lot better, they are firm on the road and soft offroad, best of both worlds

Indeed, my vote on my (essentially the same) vehicle is for the RSXs. They're a VERY good ride both on and off-road.

-Joe

Back