• Register Today It's free!

Ranger Transmission swap

RangerRicks2002

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002RangerXLT4x4
I have a 2002 Ranger XLT 4x4 (3.0L) with a 4R44E. It has died. I want to put in a 5R55E from a 1997 Ranger 4x4 (3.0L). Can it be done? Can I just swap the gears from the 4R into the 5R? if so, will I need to swap the gear selector arm on the side and will there be any issues with the computer? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about positive the 3.0 never came with the 5r55 transmission. Only the 4.0 did and the 4.0 has a different bellhousing bolt pattern (4.0 only). The 2.3 and 3.0 share the same bellhousing.

After 01 Ford added an iss sensor to the trans. It won't be on that 97 model either way and your computer won't shift the trans correctly without it. You need an at least an 01+ trans.

Excellent. That's what I thought also and after asking the other guy with the other transmission he said he made a mistake that it is the 4r44e. Which turns out better for me cause that's what I needed anyways. Thanks for the reply ER.

Thanks for all the help but you said that 01 and newer has an iss sensor, and won't shift properly without it. Mine (2002) does have that sensor and the other (1998) doesn't. So this trans won't work in my truck ( just a straight bolt in), then why does everything I read say that they are interchangeable? I have read everything internal is interchangeable so can I just remove the guts from the 98, rebuild everything (while it is out) and then install it all into my 02 casing? Thanks for any help.

The bellhousing is removable on the 4R44E and 5R55E.

The internals are the same but that sensor runs off the side of the drum which is different in the early model. You would be better off just rebuilding your bad one with new parts. Rebuild kits are pretty cheap.

Ya I know, I bought one. However, once I tore into my tranny I found 3 hard pieces with damage. And the dealer has discontinued them. So, I figured I got this other one, the internals are the same, why not just rebuild it while it's out. Just finished it last night, well this morning at about 3am. Gonna tie up all the little loose ends and prepare to reinstall. Thanks for all the help cause I probable would have put that other one in first and ended up taking it back out. You saved me a lot of time, headaches and busted knuckles.

Back