Rapid clicking noise coming from rear climate control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rapid clicking noise coming from rear climate control

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
Hi Guys,

Figured I'd ask around before I start ripping my interior apart. The vehicle in question is a 2003 Limited, 4.6L.

When the ignition is keyed "on" (doesn't have to be running) I've been hearing a rapid clicking coming from the cargo area. I did a little research and found that this area contains some sort of climate control hardware for the rear half of the system.

I notice that the clicking stops if I turn the rear fans on, even on the lowest setting, the clicking stops and the woosh of air starts out the back vents. This part of the climate system is controlled via two overhead knobs, since I'm sure there are various options. My center console area has the digital climate unit, but the rear is controlled by knobs above the mirror.

Anyway, it sounds like something is attempting to actuate closed, but is broken, so it just clicks because it's trying to rotate but can't advance.

Does anyone know anything about this climate system, or what might be causing the clicking noise? Do you have an suggestions aside from just going in there with some trim tools and pulling it all apart?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

blend door actuator common, issue you. may not have rear heat working mine stuck in the cold setting.

The rear blend door actuator fail because the small black plastic gear is broken (teeth missing) very common issue. The dorman replacement I have failed again and I just adjust the rear temp to a position where it doesn't make a noise (somewhere close to max cold or max heat) You need to take off the rear trim and seat belt. I'd recommend buying the oem, it lasts longer than the dorman brand.

300911_482559655145524_1246293586_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pg/diyfordexplorer/photos/?tab=album&album_id=482586048476218

I live in Florida so I just jammed it in the "cold" position and removed the heater hoses.:rolleyes:
(Might not work for you because I don't know where you live.)

I've had to replace my blend door actuator twice now. I found that if I leave my thermostat set to full cold/heat, it is trying to move the door past max. I no longer go past horizontal on my temp dials for the rear air and I've been fine.

I live in Florida so I just jammed it in the "cold" position and removed the heater hoses.:rolleyes:
(Might not work for you because I don't know where you live.)
Not a bad idea. I have been considering removing the rear climate control, because the space is only used for dogs and gear. But then I think, why would I remove features? Might want them later. Though this project does look like it's going to be a pain in the butt. I always struggle with trim removal and re-installation.

I've had to replace my blend door actuator twice now. I found that if I leave my thermostat set to full cold/heat, it is trying to move the door past max. I no longer go past horizontal on my temp dials for the rear air and I've been fine.
That's a really good idea. I've tried adjusting the temp, and it seems to have no effect. However if I set the fan to 1 or higher, the clicking stops.

blend door actuator common, issue you. may not have rear heat working mine stuck in the cold setting.
Thanks. Mine seems to have heat. The noise actually stops when I turn the fan on, so it must be a different part? I'll eventually wind up tearing the interior apart in the cargo area, and it'll be readily apparent which part needs to be replaced. Thanks for the info.

The rear blend door actuator fail because the small black plastic gear is broken (teeth missing) very common issue. The dorman replacement I have failed again and I just adjust the rear temp to a position where it doesn't make a noise (somewhere close to max cold or max heat) You need to take off the rear trim and seat belt. I'd recommend buying the oem, it lasts longer than the dorman brand.

300911_482559655145524_1246293586_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pg/diyfordexplorer/photos/?tab=album&album_id=482586048476218

Thanks for the info, this is definitely what's going on with mine. Once I saw this I searched out some videos on youtube, and there's a lot of info regarding this part failure and possible repair options.

I see. Another bad design. The modulator motors try to go too far and then strip the cheap plastic gears.
Ford had a better idea. Suicidal, high-tech, computerized, modulatable, vent flap motors. There are a few more bad designs in the defroster flap and the outdoor air vacuum motors.

I have been considering removing the rear climate control, because the space is only used for dogs and gear.
I have noticed that I always sit in the front of the car when I'm driving.:rolleyes: I usually put a plywood partition with plexiglass view panel behind the front row of seats to keep the air conditioning in the front. If the rear air ever breaks in the Explorer, it will get a plywood partition, too.

I don't worry about whether I will ever need it again because I drive them until they rain on the inside. For the price people will pay for a leaky, 20 year old car, they can fix it themselves.:p

Back