Raw gas leak at engine

JENGLAND

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XL
Help! Fuel leaking, strong smell

I noticed the smell of raw gas coming from my 1999 Explorer, and after looking under the hood I found where it is leaking. Almost directly under where the spark plug wires connect at the top of the engine, there is a white plastic looking piece threaded into the block and has wires connected to it. Does anybody have any idea what this is?? I didn't want to turn the truck into a fireball, so I'm not driving it but need to fix asap. I don't see how it could have loosened itself & I'm not sure that just tightening it back down will fix it. ANY IDEAS? ? ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll try, may take me a while to do that; i'm a work and the truck is at home, but I'll try to get that on here.

I found gas leaking right at the engine block. Just under where the spark plugs all start from, there is an electrical plug that plugs into a white plastic looking sensor (guess) that threads into the engine. Any ideas what this is??
I don't know how it got loose and I don't want the car to burn up, so I would rather replace than just tighten down.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

can you get a picture?

The solid fuel lines should go to a pair of braded lines that should run to the fuel rails. I've had to replace that braded line twice do to it leaking.

it looks like to goes into the fuel rail. it is coming out past where the braided line goes. i'll work on getting a pic.

Back