Re-gearing with a powertrax no slip locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Re-gearing with a powertrax no slip locker?

Morris Capers

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xlt 5.0 Awd
Sorry, this may be a dumb question but if I buy a powertrax no slip locker for my limited slip rear end and want to re gear at a later time to 4.56 can I still keep the locker?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you can keep the same carrier with all 8.8 gearsets

Yes

But you will have to go through the gear set up of the rear end twice...

Why not do it all at one time and be finished?

He is right and it is very time consuming to set it up right, it is not a rush job at all.

Also the special tooling and knowledge to go with it.

It's such a PIMA (Pain In My A$$) to do it in place. I refuse to do it.

That means you have to drop the rear end twice.

Wrong, he asked about a powertrax, which is a lunchbox locker. This is a easy installation once the gears are done.

I installed one after having someone set up 5:13's in mine. I have also broken mine after 10 years of use and put another one in it's place without touching the gear set.

I will do the same up front soon.

Thanks for the answers!

I just regeared to 4.56 after having a spartan lb locker. It takes a bit of time to remove the locker (Think springs and pins) but yeah, works with all 8.8 gearsets.

Wrong, he asked about a powertrax, which is a lunchbox locker. This is a easy installation once the gears are done.

I installed one after having someone set up 5:13's in mine. I have also broken mine after 10 years of use and put another one in it's place without touching the gear set.

I will do the same up front soon.
How noisy are those lockers ?

Back