Rear and front diff. oil recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear and front diff. oil recommendations

Wrench

Reaction score
City, State
Courtenay, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 B4000 4.0L OHV
I have the controltrac 4x4 driveline and my manual lists two different oils for the diffs. Traction lock rear calls for 80w90 GL-5 spec. The front (which I believe is a Dana 35) lists 4x4 gear oil, Ford p/n F1TZ-19580-A. What is that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front is regular 80w90 gear oil. Rear (assuming you have the LSD) is 80w90 gear oil with friction modifier.

Just to add in, if your vehicle has a Limited Slip Differntial (LSD as mentioned earlier) in the rear, read the gear oil bottle and see if it already comes with the Friction Modifier -- some gear oils do, some dont. If it does not, you can get the Friction Modifier additive bottle from your local dealer for about $5 USD and pour that the Friction Modifier into the differential before you pour the gear oil.

Just to add in, if your vehicle has a Limited Slip Differntial (LSD as mentioned earlier) in the rear, read the gear oil bottle and see if it already comes with the Friction Modifier -- some gear oils do, some dont. If it does not, you can get the Friction Modifier additive bottle from your local dealer for about $5 USD and pour that the Friction Modifier into the differential before you pour the gear oil.

On this note, I am doing my rear when it warms up a bit. The front has already been done, but waiting until the weather warms up for the rear. I used Castrol gear oil 80w90 for the front. It says on the bottle that it has been formulated for Limited Slip Differentials as well. However, how do I know for sure if this is good for our Ex's requirements ?

Castrol's web sites states:

Hypoy C 80W-90: exceeds API MT-1 lubricant for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy duty trucks as well as API Service GL 5 lubricant for extreme pressure conditions. Recommended for service fill of all limited slip differentials in passenger cars and light trucks calling for SAE 80W-90 and API Service GL-5 specifications. Recommended for applications calling for Ford ESP-M2C154-A and GM 9985290 and is Mack GO-H approved.

IZwack - yes, I too have read the spec's on some lube containers and notice that they mention the friction modifyer is already included. I was going to buy a 4L container and use it in both front & rear diff's. I don't suppose there will be any problem putting the friction modifyer in the front diff. I take it that Ford uses the term limited slip and traction lock to describe the same thing?
One thing I noticed in a shop manual was the fluid level should be about a 1/4" below the fill plug hole. Is this for expansion from heat?

One thing I noticed in a shop manual was the fluid level should be about a 1/4" below the fill plug hole. Is this for expansion from heat?
Fill it up to the fill plug hole and call it a day. Typically, I just fill until fluid oozes out and then plug it as quickly as possible. It's a lot better to overfill a differential than underfill it.

Back