rear axle problem, damn really...

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
so long story short, van broke, got ex up an running. as van is fixed and ex has sat for 4 days!!!! it magically breaks!

walked out and saw black under the rear axle pumpkin, crawl under see axle has leaked its fluid.. look over and there is black fluid all over inside of driver tire as well, both smell the exact same...

what do i start to look at? i know the axle pumpkin i can reseal with a new seal.. but what causes it to just leak?

where do i start on the fluid on the tire?

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's dripping out of the axle seal maybe, and running down the tube till it hits the lowest point maybe,,

The axle diff can leak at the cover, the pinion seal, the fill plug, and even out either side where the axle tubes go into it if they change position, either to stress or from the diff spinning. Of course the vent tube can leak as well and wind up on the bottom of the diff.

The fluid on the tire is likely just the axle seal, which might have been caused by the lack of fluid if there's a leak around the diff.

It might be just the seal on that one side, if you unknowingly drove it with the seal going bad, it churned out the fluid and ran along the bottom of the axle tube to the diff, but that seems unlikely, I'd think the fluid would wind up just inside the wheel and all over the drum, not ever able to run along the axle.

It IS possible for just the diff or vent tube to leak, then run along the bottom of the axle tube and run down the drum backing plate, dripping onto the inside of the wheel and then getting everywhere when driving.

Your best bet at pinpointing the leak might be to top off the axle if it's low on gear oil, clean everything up so there is no gear oil or residue, then just drive it slowly for a few minutes, then get under there with a flashlight and check all over the axle for leaks, repeating until you find where the axle fluid is leaking from.

...Also look up at the floor pan above the differential...

..If it is the pinion seal, it would have sprayed a nice line of gear oil along the bottom of the floor pan also..;)

not above on the floor pan. its on the tire on the back of the drum and a small spot at the pumpkin. it doesnt seem to do it when driving it, only after it has sat a day or two does it start to show the leak.

Back