• Register Today It's free!

Rear bed bolt nut access?

MikeBurr

Reaction score
City, State
ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
05est adre
Hey folks, been lurking for a while but decided to join as I have a specific issue. I am removing the bed to access the rear shock top mounts. The two rear M12 bed bolts just spin. Is there a way to access the under side of the bolts, or there is no saving them and they need to be cut? Maybe take off side quarter panels or something? Thanks for all the help I have read already and any thoughts you guys have on this. Going to go post in new member forum now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Four T-55 bed bolts are held by captive u-nuts similar to one's used for the rear sway bar brackets. If the u-nuts are stripped you will probably have to cut the bolts. Upper shock bolts can easily be accessed with a 13mm flex head ratchet wrench.

Four T-55 bed bolts are held by captive u-nuts similar to one's used for the rear sway bar brackets. If the u-nuts are stripped you will probably have to cut the bolts. Upper shock bolts can easily be accessed with a 13mm flex head ratchet wrench. Scroll down to the fourth pic linked below.

Dauntless76 Registry - Sport Trac
Thanks for the reply. It's an 05 and I think the shocks are original. Tried one from underneath and it just stripped. Thought I might have better luck from the top with a socket. If not better access to grind them off I guess. Unless i am doing something wrong with the flex head ratchet wrench?

IIRC, passenger side upper shock bolts were pretty easy. Also use spray penetrant on the bolts.

For driver side, did you loosen the EVAP canister and move it for better access?

IIRC, passenger side upper shock bolts were pretty easy. Also use spray penetrant on the bolts.

For driver side, did you loosen the EVAP canister and move it for better access?
Yes, canister is removed and spare of course. I will go try again and see if maybe just grinding them from underneath is an option?

Yes, canister is removed and spare of course. I will go try again and see if maybe just grinding them from underneath is an option?
Hmm, well grinding from underneath works fine, but I still have 2 loose rear box bolts that won't tighten again. Is there a way to access the nuts, or will the bed need to be removed in order to install new nuts. Thanks for the responses.

Hmm, well grinding from underneath works fine, but I still have 2 loose rear box bolts that won't tighten again. Is there a way to access the nuts, or will the bed need to be removed in order to install new nuts. Thanks for the responses.
Did you get them from underneath

This is what the mount for the back two bolts looks like under the bed
48D4E717-5CA6-4B22-A176-C4C724D8B8C0.jpeg

As you can see the bolt goes into a “encapsulated “ nut that is clipped in place. Same as a ranger bed fyi

Access from underneath would be very difficult without the bed removed

Can you pry up on those
Bolts and see if they come up and out since the threads are stripped? careful you do not want to crack the plastic bed

Otherwise you will probably have to cut the heads off and replace w new bolts and clips

In the pic you can see my bolt snapped it was stuck
I used anti seize and new
Bolts to re install

This is what the mount for the back two bolts looks like under the bedView attachment 446283

As you can see the bolt goes into a “encapsulated “ nut that is clipped in place. Same as a ranger bed fyi

Access from underneath would be very difficult without the bed removed

Can you pry up on those
Bolts and see if they come up and out since the threads are stripped? careful you do not want to crack the plastic bed

Otherwise you will probably have to cut the heads off and replace w new bolts and clips

In the pic you can see my bolt snapped it was stuck
I used anti seize and new
Bolts to re install
I have one bolt that I can't tighten anymore as the not factory clip must have broken . Over the weekend I'm going to try and replace the clip and a new bolt from underneath without removing the bed and cap.

Back