Rear Bumper Damage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Damage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on how much you're wanting to spend...best repair is to repaint the bumper but that is expensive, might be worth looking at doing a touchup and then adding the bumper protector over it to cover as much as possible.

I'm not sure what material that portion of the bumper is made out of but the middle scratch in my picture a good size piece is gouged out. I'm wondering if that could be filled with something and then painted with touch up.

I'm not sure what material that portion of the bumper is made out of but the middle scratch in my picture a good size piece is gouged out. I'm wondering if that could be filled with something and then painted with touch up.
I'm sorry but I have a difficult time trying to figure out exactly what I'm looking at in the photo. I guess it is the mirror like reflections that are confusing me.
In any case, here is a picture of my bumper protector. Would that cover up the problem? If so, that is all I would do.

Attachments

• P4020207a.jpg
    P4020207a.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 726

I'm sorry but I have a difficult time trying to figure out exactly what I'm looking at in the photo. I guess it is the mirror like reflections that are confusing me.
In any case, here is a picture of my bumper protector. Would that cover up the problem? If so, that is all I would do.

Peter - where did you get that bumper protector? Looked good.

It looks closer to the edge. It's all about how much you want to spend. If you can deal with having what looks like 2 gouges through the paint and into the plastic- but painted to match, and maybe the protector on there you may not notice them so much. If not having it smooth to match the rest of the bumper would bug you too much, you'll have to have it fixed (or replaced) and repainted.

Peter - where did you get that bumper protector? Looked good.
I ordered it through my dealer and had them install it when I took the Explorer back to get my free splash guards installed. The splash guards were part of the original deal but they didn't have the rear ones in stock when I picked it up. The protector has the word EXPLORER on it although you can't see it in the photo. The protector was $74.24 and they charged $26.99 to install it. I think you can do it yourself if you want. I believe it has a self adhesive backing. The only problem with this cover is that it does not completely cover the edge. That was the major complaint about the cover on the Highlander's bumper. The cover came with the vehicle but also stopped short of the bumper's edge where nicks can occur. They did come out with an aftermarket one that did wrap over the edge.

Peter, what your looking at is the same location where you had your bumper guard installed. The areas I pointed out in the image are almost right to the edge. I would need to install your guard further away from the vehicle to cover up my issues.

It looks closer to the edge. It's all about how much you want to spend. If you can deal with having what looks like 2 gouges through the paint and into the plastic- but painted to match, and maybe the protector on there you may not notice them so much. If not having it smooth to match the rest of the bumper would bug you too much, you'll have to have it fixed (or replaced) and repainted.

Joe, the way I am it would bug me knowing it's still visible. Even with bringing the protector as far to the edge as possible it wouldn't cover up all of the gouges. I'm going to try a few body shops to see what they come up with for repair cost. I'm hoping to maybe get them filled and repainted then apply the bumper guard protector.

I ordered it through my dealer and had them install it when I took the Explorer back to get my free splash guards installed. The splash guards were part of the original deal but they didn't have the rear ones in stock when I picked it up. The protector has the word EXPLORER on it although you can't see it in the photo. The protector was $74.24 and they charged $26.99 to install it. I think you can do it yourself if you want. I believe it has a self adhesive backing. The only problem with this cover is that it does not completely cover the edge. That was the major complaint about the cover on the Highlander's bumper. The cover came with the vehicle but also stopped short of the bumper's edge where nicks can occur. They did come out with an aftermarket one that did wrap over the edge.

Peter - don't splash guards come with it? Didn't see it as an option, and I kind of thought they just came with cars?

Instead of the bumper guard did you consider that 3M stuff, which could then wrap over the bumper?

SEM does make a bumper repair filler, that is fairly flexible that the shop could use to easily fill those. Then a repaint and probably the 3M would be a good start- similar tot he front end wraps, to wrap over the rear cover, than maybe apply the black protector over that for even more protection. Good thought on the 3M, calb...

Peter - don't splash guards come with it? Didn't see it as an option, and I kind of thought they just came with cars?

Instead of the bumper guard did you consider that 3M stuff, which could then wrap over the bumper?

Splash guards are extra, in Exterior Options in the Build section.

The bumper definitely worries me especially when my wife is always on the lookout for old furniture and such and she can be pretty rough. Heck even a baby stroller being used on a semi daily The edge seems very susceptible to nicks.

Do you have a link for the 3M protector?

You can get that bumper cover online at partscheapdotcom.

Just came back from a local body shop that has done work for me before. It would cost $250 out the door to fix the gouges, repaint, and clear coat the entire panel.

I'm thinking just do it and then apply 3M and then the Ford bumper guard over that.

That's what I would do. That piece does seem uber prone to getting nicked up on a tailgate. There really should be something there instead of just a finish painted panel on something that is going to have stuff dragged across it all the time. Yes, soccer equipment bags are still stuff...!

Splash guards are extra, in Exterior Options in the Build section.

Do you have a link for the 3M protector?

Ford Canada site doesn't show that option for the 2012s - actually shows no options! So how difficult is it to install mudflaps yourself?

This is along the lines of what I was thinking of, for 3M - http://www.clearmask.com/ - I see someone else posted a link. I'm not sure how much protection it will provide?

Ford Canada site doesn't show that option for the 2012s - actually shows no options! So how difficult is it to install mudflaps yourself?

This is along the lines of what I was thinking of, for 3M - http://www.clearmask.com/ - I see someone else posted a link. I'm not sure how much protection it will provide?
I'm sure they are the same as for the 2011. On the 3 Highlanders I've had most of this stuff was standard. Splash guards, rear bumper protector and cross rails. The splash guards can be installed yourself if you feel up to it. I can't recall if it was JDraper that did his own or someone else. I never looked at the 3M clearmask and I don't think it will prevent nicks very well. Is it not more of a paint protector?

That piece does seem uber prone to getting nicked up on a tailgate. There really should be something there instead of just a finish painted panel on something that is going to have stuff dragged across it all the time. Yes, soccer equipment bags are still stuff...!

thats why they sell you the bumper guard! I'm about to pick one up myself. Just didn't feel like dealing with it when I bought my ex. I was already kinna twisted with my dealer and I just wanted to get out of there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bumper guard doesn't protect the edge of the bumper though. The 3M is a film, and is great for rock chips and such on the front of the vehicle. Nothing will stop 100% of the stuff that could happen, but it affords a lot more protection than nothing at all.

Back