Rear Bumper Damage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Damage

I have the 3M 'Venture Shield'. Blow up the pic to see the edges (if you can).
I highly recommend this product, and have it on other cars.

xpipes.jpg

Just came back from a local body shop that has done work for me before. It would cost $250 out the door to fix the gouges, repaint, and clear coat the entire panel.

I'm thinking just do it and then apply 3M and then the Ford bumper guard over that.

Would you really want to apply the bumper guard over the film?

The reason I ask is that if in the future the film gets damaged and you go to replace it, when you remove it you either have to remove the bumper guard also and get a new one, or cut the film and apply the new one.

I would think that applying the bumper protector and then applying the film right up to the edge of it would be better. When it comes time to replace the film, just pull it off and away you go.

Does that make sense, or am I over thinking it?

Would you really want to apply the bumper guard over the film?

The reason I ask is that if in the future the film gets damaged and you go to replace it, when you remove it you either have to remove the bumper guard also and get a new one, or cut the film and apply the new one.

I would think that applying the bumper protector and then applying the film right up to the edge of it would be better. When it comes time to replace the film, just pull it off and away you go.

Does that make sense, or am I over thinking it?

This does make sense and will probably be the route I go. I have the bumper guard on order and made an appointment with my body shop for 10/10. I also found a local dealer that installs the 3M Venture Shield that Jetz mentioned. I'm just looking forward to getting this fixed. I have to walk by these gouges everyday and it's killing me to see it on my brand new vehicle.

Back