Rear Coil Spring Swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Coil Spring Swap

Ok i got turn on to this by a friend after bending a shackle hanger.

Swap leaf for coils.

by getting parts from here www.ruffstuffspecialties.com actual pages

Coil spring mount for axle here

Coil top mount plates here

Coil spring lower retainer here

and axle truss
88truss2.gif

this could be an easy thing to do

i was thinking cherokee rear lift springs the weight should be about the same.

Center wishbone on the axle spreading out upward to the frame like so.. excuse the crude drawing

2036219_44_full.gif

someone good a photoshop should help me.

with a trac bar from the passenger side to the drivers side. in the last few hours (6) i have done a ton of research
thoughts opinions.. etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so guess i have to check this thread more often.. anyways going to swap fuel tanks screw it BII it is. my upper rear mounts may come off the front of a geo tracker.. geo tracker weight = same rear explorer. and its the right size.. and will fit the frame great.. dont ask.

I would use a differnt tank if you can. The BII tank hangs way down and likes to get smaked a bunch. I hit my BII tank more then I do my sliders, diffs, or tcase skidplate. If I redo my tank I will be going to a shorter one. My tank also is about 1/4" from the floor of my bed. I cut as much support out as I could to get it higher.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh fun.. ok then i guess i look for a different tank, how is the width on it.

Ranger frames are narrower then the explorer so the width wouldnt be the problem. It is the height. It is about 13" tall. Get a tape and look how far down 13" from the lowest point that it might hit. I cut an entire support out of my bed just so I could shove it up an extra inch. When I do a flat bed I will pull it up higher. A jeep tank might work better. But it has a smaller capacity.

When ever I get around to it:rolleyes: I 'll do my tank swap...

Tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

Using a 90's F-seies Aux. tank 19 gal.;)

Just need to dig up a first gen fuel pump and stuff, I think it will work in it with slight mods

nice.. i am gonna grab a tape and look around the next time i am at the junk yard.

Thats truss is HUGE!

That config is possible given you move the gas tank somewhere.

space?

Back