• Register Today It's free!

Rear diff oil change on 2011 exp.

ZFord

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I am a new member of the forum just want to say thanks to everybody there is a ton of great information on here about our vehicles. I have a 2011 Xlt, so my question is has anybody ever changed the rear diff oil? I was under there the other day saw the fill hole in cover no drain plug looks like cover has to come off, it is a pretty tight area back there. Any tricks on process would be helpful.

I am a new member of the forum just want to say thanks to everybody there is a ton of great information on here about our vehicles. I have a 2011 Xlt, so my question is has anybody ever changed the rear diff oil? I was under there the other day saw the fill hole in cover no drain plug looks like cover has to come off, it is a pretty tight area back there. Any tricks on process would be helpful.
I'm not a real 'car guy' so please excuse the question, "Is that the same or part of the rear axle?"
According to the manual, under Normal Vehicle Axle Maintenance it says that rear axles and PTO units containing synthetic oil are lubricated for life. The fluids are not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected or the axle assembly has be submerged in water.
FYI, I did a 'find' for the word differential using the online manual and there were no results found.

Peter

I had a trans fluid change done a few months ago. Search for my old post. I asked about them doing the rear diff at the same time, and they said no reason to do it unless there was some type of contamination (water or other).

Back