Rear Diff. plug and cover help

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
hey guys, had all the fluids like tranny, t-case, diffs, change while ago, place said they rear diff plug was rusted in, fianlly got some time to look at it, and yes its very rusted in, i hit it with PB and wd-40. wouldnt budge, its kinda stripped, waht i was wondering is: i have seen some diff covers with a drain plug, the drain plug is usually at the bottom im guessing right? if i found a diff cover with a plug at the bottom could i flip the cover so the plug is at top and have it be a fill plug rather than a drain plug? open to other suggestions as well, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO because the covers are typically shaped to fit the diff one way, to clear the ring gear.

You need to get your plug out, the best way is to heat it up with a torch, after it soaks in PB blaster, then use a 1/2 drive (not 3/8") with a 3/8" adapter (the plug is 3/8" drive square hole) with a short 3/8" adapter.

I have gotten MANY frozen 8.8 plugs by using the largest drive I have (snap on 1/2" ratchet, about 18" long)
Next would be to drill it out and re-tap the rear diff housing.

Or you can put a fill plug in a diff cover, but make sure its at the right level, to much fluid is no good.

most frozen bolts just need a longer lever

Mine is frozen in too. Since I had already replaced the cover (old one rusted through) I took out the speed sensor on the top of the diff and added the right amount of fluid through that hole. Not the best way to do it, but beats the heck out of running it with no fluid...

i found that the Mag-Hytec diff covers are a good soloution, they hold more than regual one so more fluid is a plus, also has a drain plug, but also has a dipstick to check the level, so just take the dipstick out and fill thru the hole in top of cover, they said it could be used for that so hole must be faily large

edit: one fall back....234 dollars....

Indeed, needs some heat-wrench. They use red loctite (or it's generic equivalent) as a thread sealant and thread locker on them from the factory. A little bit of heat from a propane torch will soften it right up and it'll spin right out.

I'm surprised the shop couldn't get it out. I'd be reluctant to have them do any service if they can't do something as simple as remove the fill plug....

-Joe

but they got the front diff plug and t-case plug out too, i had already checked the tranny so its plug wasnt locked up

or you can fill it through the abs sensor

Really? didnt know that. i think im just gonna buy a Mag-hytech diff cover, has rain plug, fill plug, dip stick, temp sender port, added capacity, what makes me mad is that they said they could not get the fill plug out, yet on every sheet they give me after oil change it states Rear Differential: Cecked and Filled.

True, but you cannot accurately gauge the level of the fluid through the sensor hole in the top.

-Joe

i guess u could pour out exactly how much it calls for in the manual first, the just put that much in

sounds like you just want to buy a new cover. red locktite is loose at 400 degrees so a torch and the pb blaster and the socket should get it out

i might try torching it it, it really needs changed, but im still planning on that new cover, might change it now tho and get the cover later

Back