• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Rear Door Speaker Holes

Trader0000

Police Explorer for sale....needs paint
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Glen Ellyn , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7L
I wanted to replace my utility rear door panels with the standard rear panels so that I could better hear the rear speakers. I could not find a cheap set so I decided to see if I could cut a hole in the door panel. I removed the rear door panel and found a surprise. Ford had molded a speaker star pattern consisting of 28 - 5/16” circles into the backside of the door panel that matches the speaker location.

After removing the panel I plugged in my Harbor Freight Wood/Soldering tool with the pointed tip. Then I centered the hot tip in the middle of each of the 5/16” holes, making a small dimple. Now I took a 1/8” drill bit and made the pilot holes from these dimples. After the pilot holes were drilled I took a step drill and carefully drilled out the holes to match the 5/16” template rings that Ford had molded in place. I thought about covering the back side with speaker cloth but have not done this yet. Then I reinstalled the door panels. This mod greatly increased the rear speaker volume and has the looks like an 80’s style factory speaker. I may later drill these holes larger using the step drill.

PIU Speaker 012.JPG

PIU Speaker 013.JPG

PIU Speaker 014.JPG

PIU Speaker 015.JPG

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

adamsdell

Reaction score
City, State
North Wilkesboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Police Utility
I saw that on my door panels too and I want to do that. I will be doing that when it warms up, too cold here.
Looks good.

Fedon

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Police Interceptor 2013
Did the same thing when i had the panels off to reconnect the latch cable.

Neitron

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 PIU
Thanks for the idea, Fedon. Just finished connecting the door latch cable and drilled for sound in one shot.

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
I replaced my rear door panels with retail versions.

2013PIU

Reaction score
City, State
WALNUT CREEK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Nice job! I'm thinking of doing this or using a hole saw to cut out the outer perimeter of the circle and attaching speaker covers. Do you recall the diameter of the big circle? I've attached a pic of some $10 covers.
I wanted to replace my utility rear door panels with the standard rear panels so that I could better hear the rear speakers. I could not find a cheap set so I decided to see if I could cut a hole in the door panel. I removed the rear door panel and found a surprise. Ford had molded a speaker star pattern consisting of 28 - 5/16” circles into the backside of the door panel that matches the speaker location.

After removing the panel I plugged in my Harbor Freight Wood/Soldering tool with the pointed tip. Then I centered the hot tip in the middle of each of the 5/16” holes, making a small dimple. Now I took a 1/8” drill bit and made the pilot holes from these dimples. After the pilot holes were drilled I took a step drill and carefully drilled out the holes to match the 5/16” template rings that Ford had molded in place. I thought about covering the back side with speaker cloth but have not done this yet. Then I reinstalled the door panels. This mod greatly increased the rear speaker volume and has the looks like an 80’s style factory speaker. I may later drill these holes larger using the step drill.

View attachment 153536

View attachment 153537

View attachment 153538

View attachment 153539
Screenshot_20180122-155415.jpg

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
The prior owner of my 2015 PIU did the speaker covers and let me tell you, it looked GHETTO. Everyone who rode in the back of my Explorer always commented on my 1980's speakers. lol.

Hence why I swapped to the civi door panels which was a cheap upgrade.

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Not sure about all of them but this was the case in mine. Maybe yours too. If you care.

my kids were complaining that they couldn’t hear the music. So I grabbed some speakers at the pick and pull and was going to install them. I was hoping they had connectors but was ready to run speaker wire if I had to. Pulled the door skin and what to my wondering eyes should appear? There are speakers in there! There are just no grilles in the door card. There is a pattern on the back for drilling. So I drilled out the holes and covered the whole panel in speaker cover material. I didn’t remove anything from the door card. Some super 77 spray adhesive and a screwdriver to tuck the edge behind the panel.

I have pictures but I have no online hosting.

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
I have pictures but I have no online hosting.
Online hosting is free. Imgur.com

I know this site wants to sell memberships, but you'd think there would be a stickied thread on how to post images (with and without a membership) as it seems to come up quite frequently.

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
I figured out the pictures.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
nathansmith50.....your thread was merged with this one identified above by Jason.

Peter

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
So I see. In any case. This is a nice in between. It looks, in my opinion, better than just holes or retail speaker grilles and it is a lot cheaper than new door panels.

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
I figured out the pictures.
Would you mind reposting a couple pics? They don't appear to be working and I was curious how you finished the edges of the fabric.

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
Thanks @nathansmith50 i didn’t realize there was that much of a gap to stuff the fabric in there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Thanks @nathansmith50 i didn’t realize there was that much of a gap to stuff the fabric in there. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Another step I neglected to mention, I think, I sprayed the whole panel that is covered with spray adhesive first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T replacing rear door speaker grills Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 35
K 2016 rear door locks Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
F Rear door panel pockets Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
K Does anyone know how the rear door power window delete option works? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
U Police Utility with Inoperable Inside Rear Door Handles? Read this... Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 12
N 2013 PIU - Undoing Rear Door Handle Disable & Install Rear Lock Rods Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 10
Dre Solved Rear stabilizer bar bushing Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
R rear hatch release from interior Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
Adam Janowski wheel bearings (rear) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
T 2013 PIU rear end sway Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
K YES, you can install rear headrests in a PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 11
K Rear AC controls Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
A 2013 Utility Wiring help, rear tail light brake lights Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
T Rear seat headrest guide for 2013/4 police interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
D Ford Flex rear seats installed, need help finding 1 part Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
T Rear seat head restraints deal breaker? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
L '14 PIU - Installing a rear backup cam with existing display Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
E Will 2016/17 Rear Spoiler Fits ‘13 PIU? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
E Rear Spoiler Strobe? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
K Rear exhaust manifold replacement Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
2 2013 PIU rear window and steering wheel controls (experienced owners needed) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 21
K Reconnecting rear window switches... oops Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
C Part number for PIU control panel with rear HVAC & CD player Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
S Rear A/C controls on 2016 + Interceptor? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
P How do I get Rear Windows to go up and down Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 23
P Rear view Camera Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
M Rear Vault Drivers side Cargo area Installation Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
B New 2020 feature- Rear Camera On Demand Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
Eric Z Foam removal from rear of PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 23
K Rear view mirror backup camera questions Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 10
Trader0000 Rear Camera Update Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
B Recall 17G01 - rear suspension / toe link Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
Eric Z PIU rear "toe-link" recall for 2014-2015 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
K 2015 PIU rear window switchs Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
K Adding rear hvac . How involved?? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 16
K Any instructions for PIU auxiliary air conditioning (rear air/heat) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
S Rear Air Control PIU? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 16
B BCM code to allow rear hatch entry? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 18
T Does the PIU have additional bracing under the rear seats? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
B 2013 Interceptor Utility - flickering rear lights Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 13
F Police interceptor rear ended at highway speeds Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
B Differences in Door Chimes for Model Years Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
Z Power Door lock wires? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
M Radio stays on after removing the keys and opening the door? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
G Door auto-lock feature (@~15mph) 2012-2015 Police Interceptor Utility Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
C PIU Dash Speaker Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
M Alt siren speaker locations Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
Eric Z 2015 PIU Speaker Issue Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
M Replacement Speaker Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
B What to put where the center dash speaker would go? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9