Rear Drivers Door Lock Actuator & Plastic Piecebrok | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Drivers Door Lock Actuator & Plastic Piecebrok

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Hello,

I busted my RDS door lock actuator replacing the latch. It looks like the actuator is riveted in?
How do I go about removing it, and where would I find a new actuator?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Also the plastic piece that has the threads for the rod that goes to the lock/unlock knob broke, on the lookout for one of those as well

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So a quick search shows that Dorman makes the plastic piece and the actuator
The plastic piece I don’t mind using Dorman but the actuator it actually shows 2 different ones.

Ended up ordering an actuator from Tasca ford.
I’ll go to Advanced tomorrow, local store shows 1 of those Dorman plastic pieces in stock.

Anyone have any advice for removing the actuator? Do I need to drill out the rivets?
Or is that a bracket?
I was so pissed that it broke that imwasn’t Paying attention lmao

As long as the latch rod isn't crimped on the actuator it appears the same as Gen 2. Only difference I've found were the mounting brackets and actuator latch connecting rods. Apparently Ford made the front door glass run channels removable for much easier access to the actuators and latches. From a recent thread it appears the rear glass run channels are part of the window frame and cannot be removed. Prying the actuator out of the brackets is somewhat easy using a short wide blade screwdriver or similar tool. I used an open ended wrench slightly wider than the bracket in a twisting motion to spread the bracket apart to reinstall the actuator.motor. Make sure you snap the new actuator into the same raised "nub" on the old actuator and don't pinch your fingers. It hurts, A LOT. Sorry about the Photo*ucket pics. I can repost them if you want. Here to help, LMK.
Door Lock Actuator Motors Identical

1994 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Door Lock Actuator | RockAuto

Well thanks so much for that info!
I thought these were riveted in, guess I should have asked first before I broke it lol
Well hopefully I can replace it fairly easily if it can be pried form the bracket

Back