Rear end clunk when turning and stopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end clunk when turning and stopping

Swinger Sport Trac

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello, I’m dealing with an issue that has me thinking I’m nuts. I have a 2003 ford explorer sport trac 4x4 that has been through hell and back but I keep it running and driving. There has been a clunking/shifting noise in the rear end of the truck whenever I brake and turn. When I stop normally, the passenger side clunks, then the driver side. Turning does the same thing, and turning into driveways with an incline are even worse. You can feel something shift around, but I see no wear marks on the axle or leaf springs or anything. At first I thought it was something moving around in the bed but I took everything out and it didn’t change. Any thoughts? Also I should mention this started after a lady slid through a stoplight turning left and I had 4 high on and swerved around her. Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I’m dealing with an issue that has me thinking I’m nuts. I have a 2003 ford explorer sport trac 4x4 that has been through hell and back but I keep it running and driving. There has been a clunking/shifting noise in the rear end of the truck whenever I brake and turn. When I stop normally, the passenger side clunks, then the driver side. Turning does the same thing, and turning into driveways with an incline are even worse. You can feel something shift around, but I see no wear marks on the axle or leaf springs or anything. At first I thought it was something moving around in the bed but I took everything out and it didn’t change. Any thoughts? Also I should mention this started after a lady slid through a stoplight turning left and I had 4 high on and swerved around her. Thank you in advance!

Did you hit anything when you swerved?

I'd pull the differential cover and have a look inside.

Did you hit something in the near miss?

Wouldn’t be much of a near miss if you actually hit something.

Shaft tight? Pinion isn’t moving around?

Jack and shake the wheels, check the axle bearings.

Check 5th shock, axle damper if equipped.

Check traction bar things if you’ve got a 5.0

Leaf spring bushings.

If you haven’t done the rear diff fluid in a while, do it and take a peek in the pumpkin

Sure it’s not the exhaust banging the shields on the body?

Oh and CHECK YOUR SPARE

I recently found the clunking noise in the rear end of my 2004 Sport Trac. It clunked mostly on hard left turns but sometimes on right turns also and rarely on stopping. Always on a driveway with an incline similar to your experience. Tailpipe hanger weld failed but two hangers are decent just behind muffler and you could not tell by looking at it. Checked bearings and sway/stabilizer bar ends. They were a little loose and I will have them looked at later but it didn't cause the clunking. Was driving me crazy for a while also. Grabbed tailpipe and I was surprised how easy it moved side to side. Fashioned hanger out of strapping and the clunking is gone.

Update: ended up finding one of the cab mounts was messed up so I’m fixing that then we’re shall see what that says
That'll do it. What threw me off was "REAR end clunk" in your title. Let me guess that it's orange colored foam. My upper "C" mount foam shrank causing the metal "hex" sleeve to flare and bottom out on the lower mount metal flange. Made an awful scraping, grinding metal to metal noise when turning. This is what it looked like after replacing only three years earlier. I installed much cheaper, but stronger Daystar (KV) polyurethane/kevlar body mounts this time.

OEM upper "C" mount is discontinued, but found NOS on eBay for a laughable $240-$250 each.

G8XKyP1.jpeg tO2jlU0.jpeg

Back