• Register Today It's free!

Rear end tech help

RabidRabit

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 F250
Does anyone know where I can find the specifications on the 8.8 for each year (90 + up)? I need to find out what years and what makes had what spline counts. I bought what I was told a 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer. The axles should have had a 31 spline count but only had a 28:mad:. I've got the rest of the rear end all painted and trussed but need 31 spline axles with the open carrier for them to fit the locker I have got.:(:(
I need to find out what years had the 31 spline count to save me from having to rip apart rear ends in the scrap yard to find out.
The tech write up in this forum doesn't tell me the spline count.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Explorers have 31 spline axle shafts - if it has 28, then its from a Ranger. So if you can, return that axle because its not from an Explorer (and therefore its not 31 spline)

diff info

Does anyone know where I can find the specifications on the 8.8 for each year (90 + up)? I need to find out what years and what makes had what spline counts. I bought what I was told a 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer. The axles should have had a 31 spline count but only had a 28:mad:. I've got the rest of the rear end all painted and trussed but need 31 spline axles with the open carrier for them to fit the locker I have got.:(:(
I need to find out what years had the 31 spline count to save me from having to rip apart rear ends in the scrap yard to find out.
The tech write up in this forum doesn't tell me the spline count.

go online to Randy's Ring and pinion you should find all the info you need.
Good Luck. Honez

Sorry , I may have put reply in wrong area, go online to randy'sring and pinion you should find all the info you need. Good luck. Honez

Thanx for the info

Thanx for the info Honez.

An easy way to verify it would be to look at the spring perches.... If they're on top of the axle, you got a Ranger axle (confirmed by the 28 splines). If the spring mounts are on the bottom, it's an Explorer.

Back