Rear Spool

Exploderpilot

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
since i drive about 60-40 on-off road, i was thinking about just spooling my rear end and putting a posi in the front. anybody got any experience with a spool driven on the street?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a mini spool in my Bronco. On tight low speed turns you'll need to give it a little more throttle to push it through. It will churp and buck while turning, and scuff your rear tires. On slippery pavement it can get a little squirrely. If you can live with that, you'll be fine. I don't know if you ever have to parallel park, if so, have fun.

You'll go through tires in a hurry!

yeah i parallel park, but if i gotta make adjustments, i just will. i bought an e-z locker, and now it locks and unlocks when it feels like it. especially on the highway!!!!
plus, i don't wanna spend 1500 bucks on all kids of rear end mods, and a spool just seems like the way to go.

exploderpilot said:
yeah i parallel park, but if i gotta make adjustments, i just will. i bought an e-z locker, and now it locks and unlocks when it feels like it. especially on the highway!!!!
plus, i don't wanna spend 1500 bucks on all kids of rear end mods, and a spool just seems like the way to go.

That's why I ended up with the mini spool in the 9". It was cheap and easy to install. Once you get used to how it drives, it will become second nature.

;)

Attachments

• lincolnsticker.jpg
    lincolnsticker.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 281

LOF'nL

A spool in my opinion would be alot more road friendly than a non selectable locker (IE a lock right) It would be stronger too. One of these days I'm going to spool my truck and get rid of the lockright, it's does weird things on the road sometimes and they're not nearly as strong. And why a limited slip up front? spend the money and get a selectable locker, limited slip is worthless expecially in the front.

Eneurb said:
You'll go through tires in a hurry!

I heard its no worse than if you have a heavy foot

Is spooling just welding the spider gears together?

I'm interested in this also. So a spool would be better and more road friendly than a lunchbox locker, like a Powertrax? I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to lock the rear.

I don't know about more road friendly but I had not problems with mine. You just get used to driving with both tires spinning the same speed. I had a limited slip up front in mine and it wasn't worthless at all. I could climb the hell out of the trails I went on. On example the Rubicon... ;) Ranger X has Limited Slip in the front and rear and he'll climb anything and more than some other people with lockers.

IMO a spool is a better option than welding. If you don't like it you can take it out and re-intstall the carrier, (spiders if you mini spool). Unless you have a spare carrier laying around you don't have that option once you weld.

A spool is more predicable imho on the road than a non selectable locker. As far as limited slip i would never waste my money. For what a good limited slip costs you can spend a little more and get a full locker. I don't care how great your limited slip is, if you start lifting tires or get in the loose stuff you're limited slip is going to transfer torque to the tire with least resistance. And with the lack of flex up front I lift my front tires a fair amount sometimes. As far as a spool wearing out your tires faster, I don't think so. My rear tires show very little wear, my front tires on the other hand show alot more wear from street driving.

I dunno about you, but I don't want to be foolin with the brakes when im in a sticky situation, I want my crap to work. :)

Will a spool work w/ a Limited Slip carrier? Do you have to set the R&P back up after installing a spool?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A spool replaces the carrier, and the backlash will have to be reset after you install a spool.

Back