• Register Today It's free!

Rear Sway Bar

siguaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lynden, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2 door
Who runs rear sway bar and who doesn't? What is everyone's opinion of it?

I am debating to take mine off. It is a trail rig and a DD. Not sure if I want to go the effort of making quick release

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't run a rear sway bar in 8 years

At least that long for me too. Even towed a 1400 pound pop-up trailer with it regularly with no issues.

Rear bar doesn't do that much. The front bar makes a huge difference on the street but the rear not so much.

I run a second gen sway bar on the road and it definitely makes a difference at my height. .but its only two bolts to take it loose..why even bother with disconnects. ..takes me less than 5 mins to take the bolts out at the head of the trail...

We haven't had any sway bars on our Explorer in 14 years or more..

Last time I took the weed wacker to the back yard I found the rear sway bar again.. I think it finally went to the scrap yard as scrap iron.

Our X isn't a DD any more, but I do try to take it out on DD runs every few weeks. It doesn't ride flat. I actually know a few people that won't ride in the X because they can't handle it. One gets motion sickness and the other is, well, scared of the body lean..

I've loaned it out to my sister in law and my Mother in law used to borrow it to get to work when I was working on her truck. That was about 10 years ago, but even then, we didn't have sway bars, although it was SUA and leaned less in the corners.

I have done a few swerves in it and I haven't knocked it over, the tires more or less slide first.

You do have to drive where you are going and not what you feel as you feel it moving around a bunch..

I should mention the speed limit out here is 75mph but I normally only drive around 65mph to help with gas mileage, but if I'm running late for work I have driven it at 75mph but I try not to.

~Mark

Back