92 explorer rear sway bar upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer rear sway bar upgrade?

jovi

Reaction score
City, State
spruce pine north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
Is the a up grade for the small rear sway bar on my 92 4 door?I am just looking for something a little bigger to help with body roll.Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't he use a 95+ sway bar?

Sure can...but why upgrade JUST the rear? The front is where most of the weight is, and where the suspension travel is fastest.

If you upgrade JUST the rear, you will have an unbalanced handling vehicle....which isn't safe.

Ryan

The rear bar (and bushing and brackets) from a 95+ make for an inexpensive upgrade, which puts the handling of a 91-94 closer to neutral, rather than the stock understeer with the smaller rear bar.

An often overlooked upgrade is just upgrading the bushings. Energy Suspension makes a full bushing kit, with all the sway bar bushings, radius arm bushings, leaf spring bushings, pivot bushings, and more. For just over 100 bones it's quite an improvement. Getting some good performance shocks helps as well.

Going all the way to a thicker front and rear aftermarket bar will definitely help the most, but it's a steep price.

Sure can...but why upgrade JUST the rear? The front is where most of the weight is, and where the suspension travel is fastest.

If you upgrade JUST the rear, you will have an unbalanced handling vehicle....which isn't safe.

Ryan

will a 95+ front,swap into a first gen?

I have a 2nd Gen Rear Bar on my `92. I notice 0 difference.

1st Gen does NOT work with the 2nd Gen....they're attached totally different.

Ryan

just swapped out the rear sway bar to a second gen and on my lifted truck i can tell a difference

The trick is whether we can remove the rear stabilizer bar and then drive safe and secure for us but also for other

-:exp::exp:

hey this is from someone like i said that its removed.. i have not seen/felt a difference with the rear gone. only time i felt/seen a difference is when i did the front sway bar bushing to poly and syn grease.

On a lifted truck with larger tires, you are going to feel the difference between on and off less, since the stock sway bar is not going to get close to making any type of difference in body roll once you are adding that extra torquing force from the higher center of gravity and the roll from the tires.

On a completely stock truck, the difference is easily observable.

ill put it this way, search on here for it on the forum. i am lifted, 4" rc lift w/ ws 151 in the back, 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims, front sway bar only, no difference.

just a thought have you checked your body bushing to make sure they are broken/gone/deteriorated.

front with the thicker red ploy bushings and syn grease
001.jpg

rear... gone... went to a friend for a custom build.
2010-11-14122612.jpg

Ok thank you very much for all explanation

I bought my Explorer Express bars a while back. They mentioned that when I bought mine, they only had a few sets left, and they are are NOT going to be making any more. They had them custom made, in batches of 10. And it took them YEARS to sell all 10 sets. So it wasn't worth it for them to offer them anymore.

Ryan

I bought my Explorer Express bars a while back. They mentioned that when I bought mine, they only had a few sets left, and they are are NOT going to be making any more. They had them custom made, in batches of 10. And it took them YEARS to sell all 10 sets. So it wasn't worth it for them to offer them anymore.

Ryan

Makes sense.

ill put it this way, search on here for it on the forum. i am lifted, 4" rc lift w/ ws 151 in the back, 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims, front sway bar only, no difference.

just a thought have you checked your body bushing to make sure they are broken/gone/deteriorated.

front with the thicker red ploy bushings and syn grease
001.jpg

rear... gone... went to a friend for a custom build.
2010-11-14122612.jpg

:scratch: what advantage do you have by placing a shock absorber on this part front, please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back