• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Explosion

wataboy

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer Lmtd
Last week I was walking outside to get into my truck and Glass was everywhere. My Back Window Panel was bent outward on both sides and I had a massive crack in the middle of the panel. The impact had to be very violent because I have tint on my window and it still threw broken glass pieces all over my car and sidewalk. At first I thought someone had broken in my truck, but I felt this would have been a bold attempt because my car sits near my living room window. As to my surprise nothing was stolen. I will post some pics when I get a chance. This is crazy because majority of my window was still being held together with tint, but the outer portions were missing. I got my truck towed to the nearest body shop and I await the estimate. Pretty sure this is going to cost some $$$$. I started researching online and this seems to happen alot to 3rd Gen Explorers. Now I love my truck, but can not keep it if it's going to put my family in danger. Is there a fix or will this happen again, because if so I might be looking to sell it soon.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3rf Gen yes, but I've always understood this to be an issue with only 2002 models.

The glass can be had from a wrecking yard fairly cheap.

Nope My 2005! When I saw it, I just knew all my TVs, radio, & speakers were gone. But nope everything in place but the glass, pumps, and panel. I received an estimate today and the repair costs add up to 2600$... smh. Thank God I have USAA and they have been great. Truck should be ready this week, so I will post pics of before and after. Lets hope this only occurs once during the life of my vehicle; rather put my money on upgrades.

On my '04 as well! Had it replaced for about $250 installed near my home at a local auto glass company. Just need to get the panel paint matched. If you look around, you can get it replaced and paint matched fairly inexpensively. I had estimates ranging from the $250 for the one I got to $1800!

What is the cause of this?

I had something like this happen to my '91. I was at a friend's house when a thunderstorm came through. There was kind of a downburst event, and we all looked out the window to see what was going on outside. I saw a bunch of what I thought was just gravel suddenly blow down the street.

Later, when I went out, the entire rear window was gone. But I was surprised at how little glass wound up inside the vehicle. What we'd seen blowing down the street was not gravel, but my window! It was kind of odd because the wind direction should have blown the glass into the Explorer.

The best I can figure, the very high winds blew a rock down the street which struck the window and caused it to shatter. I did find a rock about an inch across in the vehicle that may have been the culprit. That storm did some damage around the area. Not a tornado, but just a downburst/microburst or whatever they call it.

Tempered glass like these back windows virtually explodes if it happens to get hit just right by something very sharp and hard. They make little hammers with a sharp carbide tip for breaking out side windows so you can escape in the event of an accident or finding yourself trapped in the car underwater, etc. They're incredibly effective with very little force.

A locksmith that came to open a friend's car one time showed us how he got it open as he was doing it. He used a bent wire device to lift up on the latch mechanism inside of the door. But he warned that if you so much as let the tool touch the bottom edge of the window glass, it could explode that way due to any bit of fine grit on the edge of the glass being pushed against it. He said it happened frequently enough that his business liability insurance covered it, but wanted to warn us that it was a possibility. Luckily it didn't happen that time, but it brings home that same point about how these tempered glass panels have a lot of stress in them, and can explode into a million tiny bits when so much as touched wrong with anything hard and sharp (like a particle of quartz or the like), particularly if touched on the edge of the glass.

I'm just throwing that all out there. It's one possible explanation for some of these events.

In the case of mine, I think replacement of that back window ran me about $90. They had a lot of these back glass pieces to fit that year of Explorer sitting around their shop gathering dust, and gave me a good deal on it because they were kind of happy to get rid of one.

What is the cause of this?

That's the $64 question. My thinking is that first we need to know how prevalent this problem was (is), then pin down where they happened most. Consider extremes of wind, temperature change (like desert), then try to link the occurrences together.

Finally, find out if Ford issued any Technical Sheets pertaining to this. If it is a pervasive problem, bet on them doing so. imp

In 2004 the hinge was upgraded. The hinge should be what's causing the issue. I believe it becomes loose, and at some time do to angle/pressure/sweet spot, pops the glass. Ford knows about, but it's supposed to have only occurred on 02-03 model years.

Well I took my 02 Explorer to the dealer last summer and had the hinges replaced and something to do with the cruise control?? Both were covered under the recall and never costed me a penny! Hopefully those new hinges will keep my rear glass from exploding...lol.:eek:

I had this happen on my 2000 Explorer once. Even though it's made completely different and the glass panel is nothing but glass. It exploded outward.

I heard this happens to some of the older Escapes too.

Back