REAR WIPER NOT WORKING | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

REAR WIPER NOT WORKING

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
Hi my rear wiper is not working I can hear the 2 relays clicking under the hood and I can hear clicking in the back of the tailgate also if I put my hand on the wiper arm I can feel the click but the arm will not sweep and the washer is working. Any ideas on whats wrong??? Also it only has 23,000 miles on it do you think the dealer would fix it under waranty even though it has expired?I just feel that this should not be broken with this low of milage and sense it is not used that often anyway. any thoughts would be appreicated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer XLT 98 I just want to say thank you for reminding me that mine doesnt work either. I noticed it last week during a storm and i totally forgot about it until i read your post. The funny thing is that i hardly ever use it ... sometimes i just squrit some water to clean the rear window and thats it. There is no reason for it to be broken. OH well. Luckily mine still is under warrenty.

I doubt they will fix it under warranty. Even if it was the day after it expired they wouldn't fix it.

Sounds like you may have a broken linkage. Can you here the motor running? There is a small rod that connects the wiper to the motor. That might have come loose.

I had the wiper motor replaced on mine right before the warranty ran out. I could feel and hear a clicking at the wiper arm, but the arm was locked. The list price on the replacement motor from Ford is around $80, but you should be able to get it for around $50 if you search around. You can get a rebuilt one from Autozone for about $40.

I had the same problem on a '98 XLT. They never did fix it before I got rid of it. Now on my '00 XLS, I have the same problem. If I wiggle the arm by hand, it will start. Then the next time it rains, it will not work. I'm going to take it in.

Yeah we had the motor replaced on ours under warranty and I could here the clicking in the back and it would squirt water just no movement.

Originally posted by kkreit01
If I wiggle the arm by hand, it will start. Then the next time it rains, it will not work. I'm going to take it in.

Mine did that same thing. Took it in and they said it was a bad motor. They also said that they had a bunch of X's come in with that problem. Could be a bad batch of motors. Then again I had mine fixed last summer.

Back