• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wiper

skidoomxz99

Reaction score
City, State
Leominster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
The rear wiper on my 00 EB stopped working last week. I haven't had much time to troubleshoot. The rear washer fluid works, but when I turn on the wiper nothing happends. Is the rear washer and wiper on the same fuse? I have tried moving the wiper arm, opening and closing the rear hatch, without any luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed my 00 EB also does what you say, no wiper but I can hear the washer running. Ill update you if I get it figured out before you do.

Mine as well does this since the other day. My wiper was having the common problem where it wouldn't touch the windshield so i bent the metal arm towards the glass. The wiper didn't work after that but later that day it did work (and touched the glass since i had bent it). Now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

where it wouldn't touch the windshield so i bent the metal arm towards the glass.
i just did that the other day myself now it clears the whole length of the blade!
GO FORD! lol

I have loved all 4 Explorers I have owned. I have hated the rear wipers on the last 3 (97/00/99). I don't remember the 1st one I owned (93) because I moved away soon after I bought it, put it in storage and sold it to a friend a year or so later.

Too bad there isn't an aftermarket rear wiper motor that is actually good. :(

I had the same problem last year. Tried swapping the relay, but no help. Problem generally clears up after shutting the tailgate kinda hard. Been working ever since. Believe it is a problem in the motor assembly.

Thanks for the reponses. So, this morning my rear wiper decides to start working again. My rear wiper did the same thing a couple years back. I called Advance Auto and they have a new wiper for $40. I am going to replace the rear wiper motor just in case.

skidoomxz99 said:
Thanks for the reponses. So, this morning my rear wiper decides to start working again. My rear wiper did the same thing a couple years back. I called Advance Auto and they have a new wiper for $40. I am going to replace the rear wiper motor just in case.

Replacing the motor USUALLY helps, but even brand new motors seem problematic, as least from what I've read. Seems that getting a refurb with a lifetime warranty (some places offer it) might be the way to go. There are zillions of threads on this subject. Search away and you'll see. :thumbsup:

The rear wiper on my 2001 Limited was touching about half the glass, took it to Ford, they "fixed" it, it worked for about a month then stopped. Took it back, they replaced the arm, it pressed so hard on the glass it stripped the rubber off the blade. Had it worked on again, by Ford, worked but still tight, finally it stripped something now it won't work at all. Motor runs but arm won't move. It's a known problem on 2nd gen Explorers, Fords getting rich off the repairs. 80 bucks a pop for me. I don't care if it ever works, Ford will not get any more of my money....same for the door handles. I've replaced them all on both my Explorers.

My 98 did that one time. I just grabbed the wiper and shook it a little. It has worked fine ever sense. I guess it just got in a bind.

TheVarmit said:
The rear wiper on my 2001 Limited was touching about half the glass, took it to Ford, they "fixed" it, it worked for about a month then stopped. Took it back, they replaced the arm, it pressed so hard on the glass it stripped the rubber off the blade. Had it worked on again, by Ford, worked but still tight, finally it stripped something now it won't work at all. Motor runs but arm won't move. It's a known problem on 2nd gen Explorers, Fords getting rich off the repairs. 80 bucks a pop for me. I don't care if it ever works, Ford will not get any more of my money....same for the door handles. I've replaced them all on both my Explorers.
I have an extra rear arm you can have cheap!
15 shipped

I think those things simply get dirt in them a bunch. My 87 Chevy 4x2 FRONT wipers stopped working. The mechanic removed the motor, blew it out, and all of a sudden it started working again!
Karl

now i dont have to worry about my valve body rebuild

hmmm well i think my trannie finally bit the wee wee

For the arm problem, see the gallery linked in my signature, and use the pull-down there to view the 'Explorer Rear Wiper Mod' pictures. Shorten the fingers and that'll fix the problem guaranteed.

As for the no-work problem, yes, a new motor is generally the problem. However, to be sure, unplug the motor, and with a DMM, check the voltage between the BK/LB and WH/OG wires. You should get an alternating +/- 12V when the wiper is trying to cycle. If you don't, we need to look at the electrical side of it. If you do, then replace the motor.

I replaced my motor with one from Advance Auto.... $40 with a lifetime guarantee. It lasted about three months. The second one never made it out of the parking lot, (Tried it right there in the lot and it shuddered through the cycle) and the third one hasn't missed a wipe since!

My 2000 sport works when it wants to.

Check yours the same way... it's the same setup with the same issues. :)

Same problem here that you guys are having. Rear wiper only touching half the glass. My problem started when the wiper arm worked sometimes, and sometimes didnt. In the beginning I could jiggle it and make it work. Now wont move at all, but I can hear the motor working with an intermittent clicking sound. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same problem here. rear wiper arm only touches half of the glass. In the beginning it worked sometimes and sometimes not. At first I could jiggle it a little and it would start. Now it won't move at all. I can hear the motor running with an intermittantly clicking sound. Any ideas? thx

Back