Rebuilt Transmission Fluid - 5R55S | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt Transmission Fluid - 5R55S

derrickbj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello. I just had my 5R55S transmission rebuilt in my '06 Explorer EB. I believe the transmission historically used Mercon V fluid, but the tech put in Mercon LV. Is this OK for the new rebuilt transmission or should I be taking it back for a flush? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought LV started in model year 2008 but lets see what the experts say

What does your dipstick say? Owners manual?
L = low viscosity

This has been discussed to death here :)

6R60 = Mercon SP (2006-2007)
6R80 = Mercon LV (2008-2010)
5R55 = Mercon V all years, unless I don't know something.

I would flush it.

Flush it, now, not later.

Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either. ”

Techtips - Selecting the Proper Automatic Transmisison Fluid

Flush it, now, not later.

Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either. ”

Techtips - Selecting the Proper Automatic Transmisison Fluid
@domct203

How can we know TechTips is infallible? imp

Well then how about from Ford?

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
  • Premium-quality ATF for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury transmissions
  • Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
  • Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives
  • Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, and guards against transmission shudder
  • Offers excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability, as well as good low-temperature fluidity
  • Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
  • Helps prevent rust and corrosion
  • Dyed red for easy leak detection
  • Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
  • Not for use in transfer cases
  • Recommended by Ford Motor Company
  • Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles”
USA - Motorcraft

Being that you just spent some hard earned money having your transmission rebuilt, I would recommend making sure you got the right oil in it.

what kind of a trans builder tech would do this? I mean seriously the wrong fluid can kill your trans in short order and can be very difficult to flush it ALL out
I would be fighting for an extended warranty on this rebuild

Just curious. Are the transmissions that are being rebuilt here lasting longer than OE transmissions ? I've seen several people that have had to have their transmissions rebuilt here. Do the rebuild kits include updated parts that supersede and fix whatever shortcoming was in the original transmission - i. e.. last longer than whatever OEM parts that are wearing out too fast ?

There are some updates/fixes, like sleeving worn servo bores for example. I believe there are updates to the solenoid packs too.

IMHO, if I get 150K-160K out of the transmission, I’m fine with another 150K-160K with a rebuild. Even if I only get 100K out of a ‘bargain’ rebuild, I’d say it’s still a good deal with 250K+ on the vehicle by then.

If you paid $2000 for the rebuild, and get 100K miles that’s only $0.02 per mile (....hopes he did math right LOL)

As much I wish it so, they don’t last forever.

I have a 95 Suburban 4x4 that I had the transmission rebuilt at 190k miles - I didn't mind that. I also have a 84' F150 that I bought new, 5.8L and a C6 transmission. I had the engine rebuilt at 280k miles. Now at 308k miles, the transmission has still never been worked on, just fluid and filter changes every 30 to 40k. I keep my vehicles forever and keep them very well maintained mechanically so I am hoping that I can get at least 200k w/o any kind of major repair out of the Explorer. It's my wife's car and she puts maybe 3k to 5k miles a year on her cars so with 90k on it now, it may outlast us.

I have a 95 Suburban 4x4 that I had the transmission rebuilt at 190k miles - I didn't mind that. I also have a 84' F150 that I bought new, 5.8L and a C6 transmission. I had the engine rebuilt at 280k miles. Now at 308k miles, the transmission has still never been worked on, just fluid and filter changes every 30 to 40k. I keep my vehicles forever and keep them very well maintained mechanically so I am hoping that I can get at least 200k w/o any kind of major repair out of the Explorer. It's my wife's car and she puts maybe 3k to 5k miles a year on her cars so with 90k on it now, it may outlast us.
@digifoss
That C6 is likely the key to your best experience! The C6 was very well-designed, do a wiki on it sometime. One band completely eliminated by using clutches instead. imp

Back