Receiving Trouble Codes P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161, P0403, P0443, P0446 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Receiving Trouble Codes P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161, P0403, P0443, P0446

erichalvrsn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
I have a 2005 explorer and was driving back from the mountains and the service engine light came on. Took it to advance auto parts and trouble codes P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161, P0403, P0443 and P0446 came up. The first four are for the o2 sensors. P0403 is related to the EGR assembly and P0443 and P0446 are related to the EVAP valve/circuit. I would find it odd if all four 02 sensors would go out at once, so that leads me to believe something farther up the line is the culprit. Is it possible to clean the EGR assembly and the EVAP purge valve and see if that helps or is replacement the only possible solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2005 explorer and was driving back from the mountains and the service engine light came on. Took it to advance auto parts and trouble codes P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161, P0403, P0443 and P0446 came up. The first four are for the o2 sensors. P0403 is related to the EGR assembly and P0443 and P0446 are related to the EVAP valve/circuit. I would find it odd if all four 02 sensors would go out at once, so that leads me to believe something farther up the line is the culprit. Is it possible to clean the EGR assembly and the EVAP purge valve and see if that helps or is replacement the only possible solution?

I think they are all coming up because of the generalization involved in the nature of the cause. First, they are all of "emissions-specific" concern. That means, the truck will keep running well despite the CEL. Have you noticed any "hiccups" during driving? I expect not. If not, and operation seems unaffected, except for that God-damned light being on, you can: continue onward doing nothing but watch and listen, seek to determine if the EGR system is causing the issue, through O2 sensors detecting too much unburned hydrocarbons, or start praying a lot.

I could be wrong. Main consideration is: Does the truck seem to run normally? imp

Keep driving it, ignoring the CEL, start replacing components thought likely to have failed, sell the vehicle, burn it, or attempt to straighten out it's emission-related issues. Big concern, if you are registered in an emissions-specific location, or almost none, dependent on your level of civic responsibility, so your course of direction is before you.

Addressing: All 4 O2 sensors will never "go out" all at the same time, (unless the vehicle burns!).

The EGR codes might lead one to believe they are being "thrown" due to malfunction of O2 sensor(s), or in response to, issues being uncovered by the O2s. The non-specific nature of the O2 codes, unlike direct electrical issues, are difficult to

The truck runs normally for the most part except for getting horrible gas mileage in the city and normal mileage on the highway; less than 4 mpg in the city and about 18 on the highway. I have noticed a few hiccups when idling, but the it has never stalled out. I do live in an emissions controlled state so I would need to get this addressed before my next test.

The truck runs normally for the most part except for getting horrible gas mileage in the city and normal mileage on the highway; less than 4 mpg in the city and about 18 on the highway. I have noticed a few hiccups when idling, but the it has never stalled out. I do live in an emissions controlled state so I would need to get this addressed before my next test.

4 mpg?? You don't drive with the pedal to the floor, I hope? 18 highway is exactly what my '04 does.

Just had an idea: the trouble codes point to the O2 sensor heater circuit. Turns out, all 4 sensors' heater elements are fed by one fuse, in the battery junction box, under the hood, appears to be fuse #41 , it's 15 amps., see if that ***** is blown. If it is, none of the oxygen sensors will work properly, and fuel mileage would likely be lousy. If it's blown, and the new fuse blows, then too much current is being drawn for some reason, first choice would be a failed oxygen sensor. If it blows right away, quickly, isolate the sensors one by one by disconnecting them, you may need a bunch of new fuses-- If it blows with ALL of them disconnected, a short circuit exists somewhere between that fuse and the sensors. Look for harness melted on exhaust pipe maybe.

Here's something else: P0443 and 446 are both Evaporative Canister related: the vent is powered by a solenoid which is fed by the same fuse. I'll bet it's blown. If it still blows with O2 sensors disconnected, the canister solenoid may be shorted. I'm writing as I follow this wiring, page after page of it, now spinning wheels: fuse 41 also feeds the PCM Power Relay, if it's blown the engine won't run at all.

I'm stuck. Check the f..kn fuse anyway. Do you want me to post the wiring diagrams? If you understand schematics, I will, otherwise they won't help you much. Your call. Sorry for walking you through the **** for nothing! imp

Edit: P0403 is not shown on my trouble code list, but you said EGR related. The EGR System Module, which I suspect is built-into the PCM itself, also receives power from fuse #41.

Checking the fuse is a damn good idea! I took out the EGR assembly and cleaned that up a bit. I'll put that back in and investigate the fuse. I'll post a reply with the results.

You were right about the fuse, except for it was #38 on my truck. Put a new one in and took a test drive for about 10 minutes and the light never came on, so it's fixed for now at least. Thanks for the help!

You were right about the fuse, except for it was #38 on my truck. Put a new one in and took a test drive for about 10 minutes and the light never came on, so it's fixed for now at least. Thanks for the help!

Here's the kicker in all this, and I been wondering all day, hoping you would post! The wiring diagrams I have are for 2004. The fact they power the PCM Power Relay with same fuse as O2 heaters seems stupid.

Your 2005 reflects the change to a different fuse. How did you find which fuse it was? Just looked for one blown?

Glad it worked out. We both learned a lot, here! imp

The owners manual has a diagram that labels each fuse in the box so I was able to find it there and then look on the truck. Bad news though, the light came on second time after replacing the fuse so now I'll have to follow the wiring to find the issue. Good thing I purchased 6 fuses for troubleshooting.

same issues

I have been following ur posts about ur issues with all ur codes. I to have a 2005 Explorer, i was able to locate my burned out fuse, #37 for me, once i did that, everything else fell into place, much thanks to u guys who take the time to post ur issues and solve them together

I have been following ur posts about ur issues with all ur codes. I to have a 2005 Explorer, i was able to locate my burned out fuse, [URL=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=37]#37 [/URL] for me, once i did that, everything else fell into place, much thanks to u guys who take the time to post ur issues and solve them together

So the number to my fuse in question was #42 , not #37 as originally posted. This same fuse controls; Redundant Brake Switch, EVMV, MAFS, HEGO, EVR, VCT 1, VCT 2, CMCV, and CMS. My fuse blew again, so now what, i have to narrow down which sensor is bad? Thankfully i have a bunch of extra fuses

rfuen00, Did you resolve your #42 fuse blowing? My 2007 Explorer keeps blowing that fuse as well. Also, does anyone know how to get to the passenger side upstream O2 sensor connector? I was able to unplug it but connecting it is like Level 10 in Doom.

Issue Resolved with Fuse #42 Blowing on a 2007 Ford Explorer. I disconnected just about every wire connector I could see and with the help from the fuse that lights up when it blows, I just connected each connector one at a time until the fuse blew. It ended up being the Camshaft Timing Solenoid on the right side. Valve cover had to be removed to replace it.

Issue Resolved with Fuse #42 Blowing on a 2007 Ford Explorer. I disconnected just about every wire connector I could see and with the help from the fuse that lights up when it blows, I just connected each connector one at a time until the fuse blew. It ended up being the Camshaft Timing Solenoid on the right side. Valve cover had to be removed to replace it.

A two-year old thread helped you! Nice! imp

Just wanted to thank all contributors to this discussion.

Earlier today, I was telling another member how happy I was with the lift and tires. Shortly after that, I lost the throttle body control motor. Well not the motor, but the spring and pin that feeds down from the top front corner of the cover containing the motor, tensions spring and gears. No problem, replaced the whole throttle body. This was the easiest repair I had ever completed my self. Went for a run and, man, it running awesome. While tightening the intake tube clamps, I noticed a bit of wire sticking out from under black tape on my maf harness. A closer look revealed every wire had a bare spot, next to each other, of equal length. Yep, someone, a previous owner had taped into the wiring.
V😬V At this point, I could not believe it was running without and fault codes. I temporarily sorted and taped them back up. Started it up and, BAM , fault codes everywhere, yep. The exact codes that inspired this topic. Did I immediately think fuse, no I thought, operator error. I just Jerry'd the wires back together, very possible I hooked something wrong. Like 2 yellow wires, one with and one without a brownish stripe. So I redid the sort and tape and found no fault of mine. I pulled up the DTC, cleared them and they came back immediately. Now I'm suspecting, fuse. I possibly touched 2 wires together and popped a fuse. Went to service manual, but didn't know what fuse to I was looking for. Found a fuse number on this forum,#41. removed panel, looked at panel, went to what I believed was #41. No luck, good fuse. So this thing was also throwing a code for the egr control valve. I removed all of the intake parts I had recently put back on just to take a look at the egr. EGR, looked fine. But, the wiring on the TPS had the same tampering. Bare wires, all across from each other , equal lengths of shielding removed. So I now have 2 wire issues to fix, but neither are clearly the cause. Came back to the forum. Did a broader search and found this discussion. Guys, I thought I was about to learn that a new evu/pcm was required. Remember, I knew it was voltage issue. Even went to the fuse block. This discussion included 1 thought that had eluded me. DID YOU CHECK THE RIGHT FUSE. Heck yah, unless I was reading the panel upside down, Unless my year model was not the same as the guy who said #41 worked for him, Unless it was both. (Insert facepalm here)

Yes, it was a fuse. #42 on my 07 mountaineer. Yes, I likely popped it while bandging the wires back together. Again, thank you. The cost of a fuse tonight prevented the cost of diagnostics and additional parts and labor tommorow. I can now go to bed.

For me it ended up being the green wire to fuse 42. It was loose and wasn't holding the fuse properly. I disconnected the MAS sensor and used a test light on the power wire. Turned the car on and wiggled the wire connected to fuse 42 a bit and it kept going off and on. I cut the old wire and replaced the connection. Hasn't come back so far. It even passed the emissions test.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back