Recommended after market muffler for '98 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommended after market muffler for '98 XLT

Walleye Bandit

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hi,

I am going to take on replacing the muffler on my '98 XLT myself and was wondering if there is a concensus on the best after market brand. There are NAPA, AutoZone, and other auto part stores in my area.

I read the thread on step by step for installing a Flowmaster muffler on a '94 model, but am not sure if there is a big difference between the '94 and my '98. Other than the design of the muffler it doesn't appear to be much different. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Walleye Bandit :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like stated above, Flowmaster is one of the most popular ones for our our trucks if you are looking for deeper sound and performance. For the best bang for your buck I would recommend going to a local shop where they can custom bend exhaust tubing. Look in the yellow pages for a local shop. You can generally get the Flowmaster for $50 or so and spend another $100 for new larger tubing from the cat back. This will give you the the best increase in sound and performance.

If you are replacing just the muffler, make sure to get one that will have the correct inlet and outlet diameters. The chain stores will be able to to find the correct size for you if you are doing a stock replacement.

go with the flowmasters they sound real loud and deep.

I got the 40 series on my 01 sport and it sounds real loud and deep.

I got single in and dual out and a lot of people think i got a V8 in it.

I paid 250 for my 40 series flowmasters and i love the sound.

flowmaster 50 SUV series is what i have. here's a couple clips to give you an idea of what it sounds like:
without a tailpipe, just coming straight out the outlet of the muffler:

inside the cab WITH tail pipe:

this might give you an idea of what it'll sound like outside the truck:

hope those help.

the 50 suv is kind of expensive compared to the other flowmasters but it's perfect.

aeaglenfinch

my 01 sport sounds like excatly like urs but i got dual exhaust on mine urs sounds awesome real loud and deep too.

Do u got aim or yahoo messanger I got both of them

aeaglenfitch on AIM

Back