Reliability of V8 drivetrain

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Hello all, I'm pretty familiar with the 2nd gen drivetrain (1995-2001) and the trouble spots but don't know much about 3rd gens.

I am hunting around for a tow vehicle for a single car hauler (total weight around 5000 lbs). My current 2000 Sport cannot tow this kind of weight.

I know the 2nd gen V8/4R70W is very robust and reliable. How is the 4.6 V8 and automatic? What should I look for, especially if I'm shopping for used vehicles?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The motor is more than capable but the POS 5R55 trans is another story... towing 5000lbs regularly will likely be disastrous.

^^^^ Bingo ^^^^

Stay away from 5R55W.. Unless you bullet proof it. Then.. Maybe.

How are the 4th gen transmissions?

Sounds like I need either a 2nd gen 5.0/4R70W or an Expedition.

if you want to tow. Get a real truck. 1500 or up. Don't bother with these sub 1500 "suvs" for towing.

How are the 4th gen transmissions?

Sounds like I need either a 2nd gen 5.0/4R70W or an Expedition.

I have 170k on my 2000 Expedition 5.4, The trans has held up incredibly well and never had an issue. I tow around 3,500 pounds in the mountains when we go camping. Super reliable drive train and Expeditions of this era are very cheap to buy. I wouldn't play around with an Explorer for towing 5k As the other's have mentioned above. 1/2 ton would be much better for you.

Hello all, I'm pretty familiar with the 2nd gen drivetrain (1995-2001) and the trouble spots but don't know much about 3rd gens.

I am hunting around for a tow vehicle for a single car hauler (total weight around 5000 lbs). My current 2000 Sport cannot tow this kind of weight.

I know the 2nd gen V8/4R70W is very robust and reliable. How is the 4.6 V8 and automatic? What should I look for, especially if I'm shopping for used vehicles?

Thanks!

I have been doing some towing with mine and it has been ok so far.

My trailer empty weighs about 2500 lbs.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414645

What amount of towing (frequency) are you talking about one weekend a month or are you going to tow this load every day?

If you are talking about a total towed weight of 5000 lbs (trailer and payload) it will likely be fine especially if it’s say a once a month thing or so.

If you are talking about putting 5000 pounds on a trailer that is a bit different since the trailer likely weighs about 2000 lbs.

I would not want to haul a trailer everyday with my 4.6l Explorer, occasionally it is ok.

The transmissions in the 02-05 explorers where fords first attempt at a 5 speed. Very occasional towing will be ok, but like others have said, it isn't the strongest. I agree with the above comment about getting an expo of the same year, youll pay pretty close to the same money, but a much stonger transmission (same engine and trans as the f150s). The newer 5/6 speeds where much better (2010s+), ford learned their lessons with the explorers, and built them stonger.

On a side note, I would very much like to hear more about this "bullet proofing" of our transmissions that joe mentioned... Never heard of anyone being able to do it, and would like to know how to go about it...

^^^^ Umm, sorry, not true. The 5 speed in 02+ came from the 2nd gen V6. It is a V6 tans that Ford cheaped out on and just threw behind the V8.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had heard bad things about the 5R series transmissions regarding durability in the 2nd gens, I suspected it might not be the greatest. Sucks because I really like the 4.6 V8 and the body style of the 2002-2005.

What was Ford thinking? The fuel economy of the Explorer and Expy are basically the same. There seems to be no benefit of the 5R transmission compared to the 4R70W.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had heard bad things about the 5R series transmissions regarding durability in the 2nd gens, I suspected it might not be the greatest. Sucks because I really like the 4.6 V8 and the body style of the 2002-2005.

What was Ford thinking? The fuel economy of the Explorer and Expy are basically the same. There seems to be no benefit of the 5R transmission compared to the 4R70W.

I've asked this over and over, too darn bad we can't put the 4R70 in an Expy and get it to work! If I had the time and money I'd try it! The 4R70W in my 02 F150 has 228,000 miles on it and shifts like butter!

Thanks!

Despite what the "experts" say, the 5R55W is NOT weak. It will certainly handle the task of towing and Explorers with the towing package have the cooling to handle it. However, the 5R55W has a design flaw that causes premature failure of the Intermediate and Overdrive servos and bands. So when shopping around, be aware that a 2002 4.6L Explorer with 150K miles might have a transmission needing a $200 fix/rebuild/replacement.

In general though, 5000lbs is a lot for a 4400lb SUV.

Despite what the "experts" say, the 5R55W is NOT weak. It will certainly handle the task of towing and Explorers with the towing package have the cooling to handle it. However, the 5R55W has a design flaw that causes premature failure of the Intermediate and Overdrive servos and bands. So when shopping around, be aware that a 2002 4.6L Explorer with 150K miles might have a transmission needing a $200 fix/rebuild/replacement.

In general though, 5000lbs is a lot for a 4400lb SUV.

Is this the major problem point of the transmission? Otherwise, how reliable is it?

In the near term it would be more like 3100 lb (Honda on car dolly) although I may end up with a full trailer at some point. But not more than every other month. Just for track days.

Is this the major problem point of the transmission? Otherwise, how reliable is it?

In the near term it would be more like 3100 lb (Honda on car dolly) although I may end up with a full trailer at some point. But not more than every other month. Just for track days.

depends on your luck, but the issue is very well documented.. look for any topics about 'ford servo bore' and decide for yourself. some people report that their's still running strong, some that were unfortunate (like me) explode before 100k.

My mistake on the 5speed auto note.

On my 2002, my transmission went and needed a complete overhaul... It was the one way clutch and the first planetary that grenaded in mine, so complete overhaul :( ... I wish it had been just the bands. I have also replaced a few of these transmissions for the same issue (02-05 4.0 and 4.6L, off the top of my head 4 of em, all year ranges)... planetary gearsets blowing up, and most have op-ed for complete replacement vs rebuild.

Still would love to hear (and waiting!) about how to bullet proof these transmissions tho :)

(side note, mine went out at 205,000 km)

There is way more to the weakness of the 5R transmissions than the servo bores. The solenoid block and the torque converter are problematic, as well as the bands and the pump. They can all be addressed, but do not go into it thinking that a typical failure will be remedied with $200...more like $2000 for a completely re-manufactured unit that will outlast the vehicle.

There is way more to the weakness of the 5R transmissions than the servo bores. The solenoid block and the torque converter are problematic, as well as the bands and the pump. They can all be addressed, but do not go into it thinking that a typical failure will be remedied with $200...more like $2000 for a completely re-manufactured unit that will outlast the vehicle.

Do you have data showing that those parts are more failure prone than with other transmissions? Seriously - an automatic transmission is a "wear point" and it will wear out. When you start talking bands, you are talking general rebuild items, and that is pretty much the same for all automatic transmissions that use them. And like most things, a never maintained tranny is more likely to croak earlier.

And yes, there are $200 fixes that will delay shelling out $2K for another 50K miles.

Every fricking rebuilt automatic starts at $1500 and goes up - that's just the cost of running them.

The 5R55W/S-series is well understood - no surprises. And frankly, in a daily driver Explorer, I don't see a reasonable alternative. It would be really cool if someone could work through a 6R-seriese retrofit - but after reading one fellow's work it looks way beyond the capability of your average home mechanic.

Do you have data showing that those parts are more failure prone than with other transmissions? Seriously - an automatic transmission is a "wear point" and it will wear out. When you start talking bands, you are talking general rebuild items, and that is pretty much the same for all automatic transmissions that use them. And like most things, a never maintained tranny is more likely to croak earlier.

And yes, there are $200 fixes that will delay shelling out $2K for another 50K miles.

Every fricking rebuilt automatic starts at $1500 and goes up - that's just the cost of running them.

The 5R55W/S-series is well understood - no surprises. And frankly, in a daily driver Explorer, I don't see a reasonable alternative. It would be really cool if someone could work through a 6R-seriese retrofit - but after reading one fellow's work it looks way beyond the capability of your average home mechanic.

I'd rather see a 4R70W/4R100 swapped into an Ex, now that would be sweet and they last forever!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dad's 2004 Mountaineer 4.6 has over 170,000 miles on it.

90% of those miles were put on with 4500 lbs worth of trailer behind it.

It's still towing the trailer 5 and 6 days a week.

He has had no problems with the drivetrain.

MT

Back