• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start & Climate Settings

DASEXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 & 2020 Limited 4WD
I've set the tried both settings in the Remote Start setup; "Auto" and "Last Settings".
But the climate settings never change.
I prefer "Last Settings", but no matter what I have setup prior to turning off the vehicle; these are not used.
Has anyone had success with the system retaining their last climate settings when using Remote Start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have mine set to Auto all the time and haven't had any issues with the remote start not using the settings.

Peter

I have mine set to Auto all the time and haven't had any issues with the remote start not using the settings.

Peter
I'd prefer to use my own settings; my complaint is that it turns the driver's seat temp to MAX and Rear Window defrost to MAX. When I use the heated seats, the highest is 1 or 2 and that's only for a few minutes, the seats get pretty hot. The weather here in north Texas has been extremely cold, so maybe the system is reacting to that and adjusting accordingly.
Anyway, not a big deal, just wish Ford Engineers would design system that work as one might expect or as the directions indicate.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought by settings you meant changing it from Auto. Yes the remote start will set the seats to Max (3 bars on mine) and will turn ON the rear and outside mirrors to defrost. I would think that is the purpose of using remote start in cold weather. I find it works very well. A minute or so of driving and I set the seats back to 1 bar. I believe using Last Settings should leave the seats as they were but I haven't confirmed that.

Peter

I guess I misunderstood. I thought by settings you meant changing it from Auto. Yes the remote start will set the seats to Max (3 bars on mine) and will turn ON the rear and outside mirrors to defrost. I would think that is the purpose of using remote start in cold weather. I find it works very well. A minute or so of driving and I set the seats back to 1 bar. I believe using Last Settings should leave the seats as they were but I haven't confirmed that.

Peter

This.

Sometimes during my lunch break i'll sit in the car with the heat on but sometimes it'll get so hot i turn it off. Then i shut the car off and go back to work. When i remote start it to go home that same day and i get in the car, the heated seats, steering wheel, and rear defrost are on.

I think it does this via ambient temp sensor? If the ambient temp sensor reads it's cold out, i think by default will turn them on for you on a remote start, even if you had left it off on your last drive.

This.

Sometimes during my lunch break i'll sit in the car with the heat on but sometimes it'll get so hot i turn it off. Then i shut the car off and go back to work. When i remote start it to go home that same day and i get in the car, the heated seats, steering wheel, and rear defrost are on.

I think it does this via ambient temp sensor? If the ambient temp sensor reads it's cold out, i think by default will turn them on for you on a remote start, even if you had left it off on your last drive.
From page 142 of the owners manual.

REMOTE START (IF EQUIPPED)
The climate control system adjusts the
interior temperature during remote start.
You can switch this feature on or off and
adjust the settings using the touchscreen.
See Settings (page 469).
You cannot adjust the climate control
setting during remote start operation.
Switch the ignition on to make
adjustments.
Based on your remote start settings, the
following vehicle-dependent features may
or may not remain on after remote starting
your vehicle:
• Climate controlled seats.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated mirrors.
• Heated rear window.
• Windshield wiper de-icer.
Note: For dual zone climate controlled
seats, the passenger seat setting defaults
to match the driver seat during remote start.
Automatic Settings
If Auto is on, the system sets the interior
temperature to 72°F (22°C) and heats or
cools the vehicle interior as required to
achieve comfort.
Note: In cold weather, the heated rear
window and heated mirrors turn on.
Last Settings
If Last Settings is on, the system uses the
settings last selected before you turned
off the vehicle.
Heated and Cooled Features
In Auto mode, certain heated features may
switch on during cold weather, and cooled
features during hot weather.

"May or may not". Awesome :(

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
are you having issues with yours?

Peter
No problem, per se. I'm just interested in using the "auto" feature but I hate heated seats :)

No problem, per se. I'm just interested in using the "auto" feature but I hate heated seats :)
I think you'd change your mind on the seats if you were up here in the winter. ;)

Peter

It's easy enough to turn them off. Or check to see if there is a separate fuse for them and pull it.

Hey guys new to all this stuff in the fancy 2021 Explorer XLT and was wondering about some things on this as well. I thought I read somewhere in the owners manual that when you remote start that it focuses the air on the windshield and vents that defrost the door windows. Am I correct in that? Basically what I would like to do is make sure that its worth it to me to even remote start it. Its OK to warm my seat (though I agree the 3rd level is a bit much) but if my windshield is still frosted over then it doesn't do me a lot of good.

If the auto setting doesn't do that then should I run the defrost and set my seat to one and do the last setting option?

I have also heard that some people just leave their air on defrost when they turn off their vehicle and then when it starts the air is running immediately but I feel like that puts an unnecessary load on the battery to crank.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
On page 142 in the Climate Control section, Remote Start is discussed in detail. On my 2023 Aviator, the heated seats only came on after I got in and put the vehicle into normal operation. Perhaps it wasn't cold enough to automatically turn them ON. Everything else is as described in the manual. Since I park in the garage, frosted windows are seldom an issue. In any case, however the air is set, I doubt it would affect the load on the battery since nothing turns ON until the engine is running.

Peter

Back