• Register Today It's free!

Remote start (factory installed?)

warchild

Reaction score
City, State
maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I doubt its factory but i8 thought i would ask if anyone knows some trouble shooting tips. I push the keypad button and the instrument panel comes on(radio and climate control aswell) there is a series of clicks but no start. If i start the truck with the key then push the key pad button i can remove the key from the ignition and the car runs till you hit the brake pedal. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what brand do you have?

The remote start unit is not sending enough juice to the starter to do the job...it will sound like a dead battery. Not sure if the problem is in your unit or wiring.

clicking like a dying battery, or clicks like relays under the dash trying to do their job?

Could be a popped fuse, bad wiring, loose or failing connections, or part of the logic circuitry failing.

You'll hafta grab a meter and a flashlight and start ruling things out.

-Shawn

clickin under the hood, like a dead battery.

clickin under the hood, like a dead battery.

I used to install those as a full-time job many moons ago. If the unit has internal relays then I would replace it. If it has external relays I would replace those first to see if that takes care of the problem. Its a process of elimination for electrical gremlins. Also, make sure that the connections going to the factory harness are in good condition...making good contact.

Back