X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
This might be a crazy idea but here it is anyway. :D

In pursuit of going lower would it be a good idea to remove all the body mounts and weld the chassis to body of the cab permanently, similar to a car setup. I see 1"-2" drop under there. Is this crazy or is this doable? Pros and cons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know my 96 flexes a bunch , enuff to break loose the seal on the windsheild,, if you weld the frame to the body , when going up a curb or over a bump sideways, it might break the window,,also it might not let the frame flex as it should , and crack it somewhere,, but i could be wrong, it might take all the flex out ,,

what about just using thinner rubbers on the body mounts ??? cut them in half for thickness and get 1 or 1 1/2 inches , and keep the soft ride ,

Hmm.. good point. I didn't think of the body flexing. So what is the truck missing that will make it okay for it to be one with the chasis? What makes it different than a car set up or trucks with car chasis (ie. Rav4's and such)? I'm sure there is flex there as well.

they sit high ,and have suspension travel, but i have riden in a few and they have a softer ride,, might be the springs,, if the springs were softer ,not as much is transfered into the unibody, but i think they are still full frame,

The RAV4, Escape and just about EVERY OTHER small 'SUV' style of vehicles are all a Unibody.

They are engineered TOTALLY different than the Full Frame vehicle that we all have. The Chassis is mounted with rubber on the top and bottom of the mounts to allow the natual flex that will happen in everyday driving. If you delete any of those bushings, you can and WILL eventually break your windshield from the flex. Even WITH the bushings in place you can still break the windshield from flexing too much....I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE...and can post pics/video

Ryan

k, i guess they don't have a frame,, never been under them,,

Back